Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I've got a current (I think) MacBook Air and am thinking of getting an external CD drive in order to rip films into iTunes.

I used to do this with my MacBook Pro and it would take a few hours to do a film, but I'm worried how long it'll take with my MacBook Air and a CD drive connected via USB.

I'd be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences and any advice on what CD drive to buy for this purpose.

Thanks

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have Apple's external drive and a MBA and it works just fine for me
I've had no issues and the rip/encode time is faster than my older MBP

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
with a 2012 (mid) mba with 8gb i find it a tad faster than my old mbp and much faster than my old windows machine (dual core 4gb)
i am one of those that tends to set it and forget it though so i'm not hovering around it much while it does its thing

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I've got a current (I think) MacBook Air and am thinking of getting an external CD drive in order to rip films into iTunes.

I used to do this with my MacBook Pro and it would take a few hours to do a film, but I'm worried how long it'll take with my MacBook Air and a CD drive connected via USB.

I'd be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences and any advice on what CD drive to buy for this purpose.

Thanks

It works well, but not as well as hopping over to Bootcamp and taking advantage of Intel Quick Sync. ;)

giocav89

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Hate to revive an old thread but I would rather that than start a new one. Anyone here have a general idea as to how long it takes to encode a blu-ray? Coming from a MacBook with Core2Duo and I'm really confused about what I need as far as upgrading. I just want to improve the 15+ hours it is currently taking me. Thanks!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Hate to revive an old thread but I would rather that than start a new one. Anyone here have a general idea as to how long it takes to encode a blu-ray? Coming from a MacBook with Core2Duo and I'm really confused about what I need as far as upgrading. I just want to improve the 15+ hours it is currently taking me. Thanks!

you need something with a quad core. processor speed will matter most. anything 720p or 1080 is going to take along time to encode. many use 700x300 or 640x480

Last edited:

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Out of curiosity, what settings are you typically using when you rip your DVD's to your external device? Quite a few of my attempts have come out extremely poor when trying to do this. Maybe it has something to do with which HandBrake I am using, or maybe not? I'd like to try and get these nailed down to good quality so I can utilize it properly.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
It took like 30 mins to rip a DVD(not Blu Ray) and the fans were running in full speed and all the cores maxed out.

But it ripped the movie flawlessly with no jitters etc. I used an Apple Superdrive, btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.