Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What type of memory do i need for the iMac 27" 2.93 core i7? I see in the more info i already have 2 banks free and there are 4GB already in there (type DDR3 1333MHz). Is that what im looking for now?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You are looking for 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules, can be had via Newegg or Amazon or any other good online retailer.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The easiest way is go to Crucial's site and use their online scanner tool. It will show you what your upgrade options are right on their site.

If you don't want to but from them, you can write down the specs and look around other shops.

Memory is pretty much a commodity. If it meets the size/specs it will work.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The easiest way is go to Crucial's site and use their online scanner tool. It will show you what your upgrade options are right on their site.

If you don't want to but from them, you can write down the specs and look around other shops.

Memory is pretty much a commodity. If it meets the size/specs it will work.
can't i add more than 2x4GB of memory?

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Officially Apple only states 16Gbs max for the iMac. But it has been proven that it can support up to 32Gbs of RAM.

If its the 2011 model you can successfully add 1600mhz DDR3 SO-DIMM to your iMac. If its 2010 only 1333mhz modules I believe.

In my opinion buying 4x4Gbs will be more than enough in most cases. Some Pro users can use more than that but for the average consumer even 8Gbs can be enough.

Its your choice and whatever that you need.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Officially Apple only states 16Gbs max for the iMac. But it has been proven that it can support up to 32Gbs of RAM.

If its the 2011 model you can successfully add 1600mhz DDR3 SO-DIMM to your iMac. If its 2010 only 1333mhz modules I believe.

In my opinion buying 4x4Gbs will be more than enough in most cases. Some Pro users can use more than that but for the average consumer even 8Gbs can be enough.

Its your choice and whatever that you need.
Well i already have 2x2GB in there so i guess i leave them there and just add what i can.
How can i see what model it is, either the 2011 or the 2010?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Well i already have 2x2GB in there so i guess i leave them there and just add what i can.
How can i see what model it is, either the 2011 or the 2010?

It is a 2010 model: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i7-2.93-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
IDyourMacOS.png
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder why Crucial doesn't have 4x8 as an option?
What is the max memory i can use in that imac?

That is the "official" capacity from Apple. Lots of Macs like yours can hold more than that. Depending on what your usage is, more than 8GB may not be needed.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It is a 2010 model: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i7-2.93-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​
your unbelievable mate, thanx, my iMac is a iMac11,3, so what does that mean?

Nov 28, 2010
located
your unbelievable mate, thanx, my iMac is a iMac11,3, so what does that mean?

That the link I provided is your model and 32 GB RAM is your maximum RAM capacity and that you need you can use 1333 MHz 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules, as mentioned before.
Is something still unclear?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
That the link I provided is your model and 32 GB RAM is your maximum RAM capacity and that you need you can use 1333 MHz 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules, as mentioned before.
Is something still unclear?
Just out of curiosity
1. where did u find out what my model is?
2. why does Apple state that it can only hold up to 16GB of memory?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just out of curiosity
1. where did u find out what my model is?
I use http://www.everymac.com, as it has a comprehensive list of all Mac models, it has a page for iMacs and it lists your iMac too.
2. why does Apple state that it can only hold up to 16GB of memory?
Someone else said, since Apple usually takes 100 USD for a meager 8 GB upgrade (costs 50 USD via third party channels) and 300 USD for a 16 GB upgrade (costs 100 USD via other means), they were probably uncomfortable stating 700 USD for a 32 GB upgrade, which nowadays only costs 200 USD (though it would have cost 3000 USD in early 2011, when 8 GB SO-DIMM modules were introduced by OWC).
Apple has a history of stating incorrect maximum RAM capacities, why, I don't know.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
hmm very interesting, its just that will 32GB be ok or will i be spending money for nothing?

Nov 28, 2010
located
hmm very interesting, its just that will 32GB be ok or will i be spending money for nothing?

What do you do with your computer? You are probably fine with 8 or 10 GB. If not, use Activity Monitor to monitor your Page Outs and Swap Used via the System Memory tab on the bottom of that Activity Monitor window. If those exceed 1 GB after a day of your typical computer use, add additional RAM (if swap was 3 GB, add 4 GB).

Not many people can take advantage of 32 GB RAM, some can, but those use huge applications, that just eat up resources as if it were curry flavoured beans.

Nov 28, 2010
located

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
right now Page outs=88kb and Swap=2mb
what numbers should be enough?

Nov 28, 2010
located
right now Page outs=88kb and Swap=2mb
what numbers should be enough?

If those numbers are the ones you get after a TYPICAL day of usage, then you do not need more RAM.
I use PS, I use AE and I can live with 8 GB RAM, but those applications are not my typically used applications anymore. If I would make my money solely with them, I would need at least 16 GB just for AE, as my compositions can get quite complex and previews take up RAM.
If you work with multiple layers (dozens or hundreds) in PS with high resolution graphics (3000 x 3000 and up, up, up), more RAM is always good.
Since you have two free RAM banks, getting an additional 8 GB RAM should not hurt your wallet.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If those numbers are the ones you get after a TYPICAL day of usage, then you do not need more RAM.
I use PS, I use AE and I can live with 8 GB RAM, but those applications are not my typically used applications anymore. If I would make my money solely with them, I would need at least 16 GB just for AE, as my compositions can get quite complex and previews take up RAM.
If you work with multiple layers (dozens or hundreds) in PS with high resolution graphics (3000 x 3000 and up, up, up), more RAM is always good.
Since you have two free RAM banks, getting an additional 8 GB RAM should not hurt your wallet.
No those numbers are not my typical usage, its just my internet browsing use for the last 3hours.
Regarding the memory yes i agree that another 8GB are not a problem, but after those 8 what other options can i have in the memory upgrade? Can i add 2x8 to make a total of 20GB. After the 2x8 are there a 2x10 or 2x12 modules? Or do i go directly to the 2x16 if i want more? :eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
No those numbers are not my typical usage, its just my internet browsing use for the last 3hours.
Regarding the memory yes i agree that another 8GB are not a problem, but after those 8 what other options can i have in the memory upgrade? Can i add 2x8 to make a total of 20GB. After the 2x8 are there a 2x10 or 2x12 modules? Or do i go directly to the 2x16 if i want more? :eek:

The maximum capacity for current 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules is 8 GB per module, thus no 10 GB, no 12 GB nor 16 GB modules exist in that form factor.
And you upgrade however you wish or need.
If you now have 4 GB via two 2 GB modules, you add an additional 8 GB via two 4 GB modules to get 12 GB.
Then, if you need more, you replace the two 2 GB modules with either two 4 GB or two 8 GB modules to get 16 GB * or 24 GB ** RAM.
After that, you either replace the two remaining 4 GB * modules with two 8 GB modules or you replace the four remaining 4 GB ** modules with four 8 GB modules and get 32 GB in both scenarios.
Or you go all out and buy 32 GB for 200 USD now and don't worry about future RAM updates.
Just watch your RAM usage and also take a look at that article I linked to, on how to read memory usage in Activity Monitor.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
You can also get a 2x8Gbs + the two you already have that would make it 20Gbs of RAM which is PLENTY!

The only thing is that this way you'll loose Dual Channel. The best is to have all DIMMs of the same size and same speeds as well. Of course this is not completely necessary and most of the times doesn't show noticeable slowdowns.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The maximum capacity for current 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules is 8 GB per module, thus no 10 GB, no 12 GB nor 16 GB modules exist in that form factor.
And you upgrade however you wish or need.
If you now have 4 GB via two 2 GB modules, you add an additional 8 GB via two 4 GB modules to get 12 GB.
Then, if you need more, you replace the two 2 GB modules with either two 4 GB or two 8 GB modules to get 16 GB * or 24 GB ** RAM.
After that, you either replace the two remaining 4 GB * modules with two 8 GB modules or you replace the four remaining 4 GB ** modules with four 8 GB modules and get 32 GB in both scenarios.
Or you go all out and buy 32 GB for 200 USD now and don't worry about future RAM updates.
Just watch your RAM usage and also take a look at that article I linked to, on how to read memory usage in Activity Monitor.
Thanx for the advice, but ill think ill go a little faster, i guess ill get the 2x8 now and if needed later ill take the 2x2 out for more.
Do you think there might be any issues and the 2 new modules will not be able to cooperate well with the 2 already there? Is there something i can check to avoid such an issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.