Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
agustinbg
macrumors newbie

How to use iPod in disk mode when its battery is dead

Hi!

I've this problem that I can't figure out since a long time ago: my iPod Classic Battery is completely dead... really dead. When I connect my iPod to a Wall Charger, it does not even passes the Apple Screen but there I can use it in Disk mode by pressing Select and Play at the same time.

However, when I try to do the same thing with my iPod connected to the mac, it only displays a message "Please Wait, very low battery" and gets stuck there. No way to use it in disk mode.

I know my iPod is dead and I'll probably get rid of it but I want to recover some information I stored there. So the only thing I want to do is to be able to open iPod in disk mode (whereas in the mac or in a PC, does not matter) so I can recover the info.

Thanks in advance.
agustinbg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Davy.Shalom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustinbg View Post
Hi!

I've this problem that I can't figure out since a long time ago: my iPod Classic Battery is completely dead... really dead. When I connect my iPod to a Wall Charger, it does not even passes the Apple Screen but there I can use it in Disk mode by pressing Select and Play at the same time.

However, when I try to do the same thing with my iPod connected to the mac, it only displays a message "Please Wait, very low battery" and gets stuck there. No way to use it in disk mode.

I know my iPod is dead and I'll probably get rid of it but I want to recover some information I stored there. So the only thing I want to do is to be able to open iPod in disk mode (whereas in the mac or in a PC, does not matter) so I can recover the info.

Thanks in advance.
Does it die instantly when not connected to power?

If not, then boot into disk mode and then plug into the mac.
Davy.Shalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
EvilTrovis
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to EvilTrovis
The iPod battery has to have a slight charge prior to mounting to a computer (but doesn't need to for an external charger). That's the "Please Wait - Very Low Battery" screen. It's sort of a "pre-charge" before you can connect it.

If it never advances past this screen, you need a new battery.
EvilTrovis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
agustinbg
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the iPod dies immediately after it's unplugged from the Wall Charger. :S

Well, I think the only way to solve this will be to replace the battery.

Thanks everyone.
agustinbg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Davy.Shalom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unfortunately the iPod dies immediately after it's unplugged from the Wall Charger. :S

Thanks everyone.
Gahh! That's a shame. Anyhow, the iPod classic is really easy to pop open. Just take your time and be careful.
Davy.Shalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #6
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy.Shalom View Post
Gahh! That's a shame. Anyhow, the iPod classic is really easy to pop open. Just take your time and be careful.
The true classic 6th gen (160gb, 80gb, 120gb and 2009 160gb) are really hard to open. Apple changed the casing so that it was harder to open. Anything older is a breeze to open and can be done with anything flat. I only say this because anything older then the 6th gen is not technically an iPod classic. Something to keep in mind.
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod