Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
lazer155
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Are Bone Conduction Headphones Worth it?

I've been using the apple in earbuds for the last couple years and they work great in my opinion. These:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/in-ear-headphones/

They're much better than standard apple earbuds. Those things are terrible.

Anyways, I have been reading about bone conduction headphones recently and was wondering if anyone here has tried them and what their experience was like. I don't ever listen to my music at very high volumes and specifically got those in ear apple headphones because they had good isolation which allowed me to keep the volume very low (and still hear the music clearly). The bone conduction headphones interested me because you can still hear all the sounds around you but supposedly also hear the music at the same time.

These are a pair that I was considering:

http://www.aftershokz.com/ProductDet...ductCode=AS300

What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited by lazer155; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
lazer155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Bauer24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
For $60 I'd try it out. They look cool!
__________________
13" MBP 2009 2.26 GHz/8GB/120 GB Intel 520/500GB WD Scorpio Blue
iPad 2 16GB Wifi, iPhone 4 32 GB
PSN: ChronoLink99, Xbox Live: Vinay85
Bauer24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
lazer155
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer24 View Post
For $60 I'd try it out. They look cool!
That's what I was thinking but there don't seem to be any review videos on them. That company also seems to be about the only one who even makes them. It's kind of disappointing that I can't read or watch a review before trying to buy them. I'm concerned that they may not work well and I will have wasted $60.

They do look very cool though.
lazer155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
cvaldes
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere else
Bone conduction personal audio gear has been around for at least three decades. It has never been popular although periodically, there's a minor activity that drifts in and out of the fringe of consumer consciousness.

Even in early Eighties, there were bone conduction Walkman-competitors, one was like a shawl or neck roll that had a radio built it.

The biggest drawback with this technology seems to be that bone conduction does not adequately deal with the issue of ambient noise or competing bone conduction interference. Something that sticks over or plugs into your ear canal reduces ambient noise. Bone conduction playback equipment doesn't touch your ear canal. Also, things like vibrations from buses and trains can't be adequately addressed by bone conduction equipment.

Another drawback with bone conduction is the necessity of a relatively large conduction area. This doesn't lead to small components. Traditional earbuds/canalphones can be made quite small. Bone conduction equipment needs to be much larger. In the instance of the radio neckroll, it was probably a couple of feet long, about an inch thick and maybe four inches wide. How big is a pair of earbuds?

It's a clever concept, but one that hasn't yet translated into a workable consumer-grade marketable solution for real-world situations. While I can see the conduction efficiency improving, I fail to see how this technology can adequately deal with ambient noise interference.

Last edited by cvaldes; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:35 AM   #5
lazer155
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Bone conduction personal audio gear has been around for at least three decades. It has never been popular although periodically, there's a minor activity that drifts in and out of the fringe of consumer consciousness.

Even in early Eighties, there were bone conduction Walkman-competitors, one was like a shawl or neck roll that had a radio built it.

The biggest drawback with this technology seems to be that bone conduction does not adequately deal with the issue of ambient noise or competing bone conduction interference. Something that sticks over or plugs into your ear canal reduces ambient noise. Bone conduction playback equipment doesn't touch your ear canal. Also, things like vibrations from buses and trains can't be adequately addressed by bone conduction equipment.

Another drawback with bone conduction is the necessity of a relatively large conduction area. This doesn't lead to small components. Traditional earbuds/canalphones can be made quite small. Bone conduction equipment needs to be much larger. In the instance of the radio neckroll, it was probably a couple of feet long, about an inch thick and maybe four inches wide. How big is a pair of earbuds?

It's a clever concept, but one that hasn't yet translated into a workable consumer-grade marketable solution for real-world situations. While I can see the conduction efficiency improving, I fail to see how this technology can adequately deal with ambient noise interference.
Hmm, yeah bone conduction headphones don't sound like they work all that well. This is the only review (only one that seemed like it wasn't sponsored by the company and was completely unbiased) that I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpzlMCxF6I&feature=plcp

The reviewer does not recommend them in the end.
lazer155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Bauer24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155 View Post
That's what I was thinking but there don't seem to be any review videos on them. That company also seems to be about the only one who even makes them. It's kind of disappointing that I can't read or watch a review before trying to buy them. I'm concerned that they may not work well and I will have wasted $60.

They do look very cool though.

This video was on the site you linked. Did you watch it?

http://youtu.be/F0IIM7GjFxQ
__________________
13" MBP 2009 2.26 GHz/8GB/120 GB Intel 520/500GB WD Scorpio Blue
iPad 2 16GB Wifi, iPhone 4 32 GB
PSN: ChronoLink99, Xbox Live: Vinay85
Bauer24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
lazer155
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer24 View Post
This video was on the site you linked. Did you watch it?

http://youtu.be/F0IIM7GjFxQ
Yeah but it wasn't as detailed as I wanted it to be. Plus I figured since it was on the actual company's website it might not be as accurate as it could be. I was wanting a completely unrelated to the company 3rd party review. I'll probably wind up trying them. Aftershokz seems to have a good return policy on their site.
lazer155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:22 PM   #8
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
I was thinking of trying them. They'd be great for work. Only issue I see is I wish they were wireless.

But even their wireless ones have issues. Only 6 hours of battery on low volume, not long enough for work.
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any of you posters Engineers? Wanna throw a soon-to-graduate a bone? Essenar Community Discussion 10 May 9, 2014 10:40 PM
YouTube bone icon ? What's that about... MacRumorUser Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 8 Mar 12, 2014 09:38 PM
Is it worth getting an external amplifier for high end headphones on an iPhone 5? gusping iPhone Accessories 14 Jan 7, 2014 02:19 AM
Translucent/Blur UI element (a bone to pick with..) Markyyy iOS 7 8 Aug 1, 2013 05:27 PM
Wanderful Interactive Storybooks - Ruff's Bone FREE for a limited time! Jessica Lares iPad Apps 0 Mar 16, 2013 05:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC