Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
cyberone
macrumors regular

Thank you Apple for a "new" MBA

Bought my MBA a year ago. Love it. It's fast, responsive, if it only would have the matt screen option.

Thing is, right after purchasing the computer the LCD screen had to be exchanged twice for production errors ex factory.

Apple didn't ask any questions, case was clear.

Just at the end of warranty a key started to get loose and not respond to clicks.

So the whole keyboard panel had to be exchanged.

Meaning, with the exception of the bottom panel and the insides I have a different, newer computer than I bought!

No clue how Apple can make money with customers like me.

Or is Apple QC no longer what it once was?
cyberone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberone View Post
Bought my MBA a year ago. Love it. It's fast, responsive, if it only would have the matt screen option.

Thing is, right after purchasing the computer the LCD screen had to be exchanged twice for production errors ex factory.

Apple didn't ask any questions, case was clear.

Just at the end of warranty a key started to get loose and not respond to clicks.

So the whole keyboard panel had to be exchanged.

Meaning, with the exception of the bottom panel and the insides I have a different, newer computer than I bought!

No clue how Apple can make money with customers like me.

Or is Apple QC no longer what it once was?
I think because everything is becoming more and more mass produced as Apple continues to gain market share QC is beginning to slip. But at least they are willing to worth with their customers. As long as that is the case QC can slip a little bit.
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular

They make money because you are in the minority; you may not feel like it, because you read many other complaints... But remember, people like complaining about things much more than they like praising anything. I've never had a quality problem with any Apple product I have ever owned. All of them are still working after, in some cases, more than five years of service.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
cyberone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braniff747SP View Post
They make money because you are in the minority; you may not feel like it, because you read many other complaints... But remember, people like complaining about things much more than they like praising anything. I've never had a quality problem with any Apple product I have ever owned. All of them are still working after, in some cases, more than five years of service.
The best Apple product I ever bought was the PowerBook G4. No complaints at all until the day it just became slow, slow, slow.

But had my issues with newer products, such as the iPhone.

Since their service is so good I remain loyal. But the high quality becomes a myth, rather.

Well you get what you pay for. A MacBook Pro is still of different build quality than an Air...
cyberone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:17 AM   #5
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
r

Last edited by stchman; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:12 AM   #6
Mopar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberone View Post
The best Apple product I ever bought was the PowerBook G4. No complaints at all until the day it just became slow, slow, slow.
Yep - still got mine. Original titanium-cased model - I loved that computer. Still do.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
asting
macrumors 6502

I bought my first apple product less than two months ago and it has been in twice in that time. My brothers have owned I pods for years and also never had one that they didn't have to rip apart to repair. I'm not sold on their qc. Fixing it is a nice band aid but not a solution.

Of course maybe the 5 or so products I've had first hand experience represent a small minority, but it does appear they have a lot of repairs.
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020

I've been using Apple products for about 7 years now. My first problem was with my 2009 MBP, the magsafe port stopped working for whatever reason. Apple replace the logic board and everything was fine.

My problems started to occur with the iPhone 4S and 2011 MBA.

I went through 4 iPhone 4S' within a month of launch until I finally found one that is acceptable. Still have a yellow screen, but its better than what I had before.

I think my MBA was the biggest problem of them all. I had a total of 5 units before I called it quits and just got an iMac. The majority of those 5 had problems with the keyboard not being responsive and the screen not lining up with the casing when it was closed. For whatever reason it must have just been a bad batch of computers.

Regardless I still stick behind Apple because the products are great, and their customer service is even better.
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:00 PM   #9
House Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braniff747SP View Post
I love mac products as much as any die hard here and always will, but you are ONE LUCKY PERSON to have "never" had a quality problem. Consider yourself very very lucky. In the past 7-8 years every single Mac product I've purchased had to get swapped out one or more times.
House Crasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Crasher View Post
I love mac products as much as any die hard here and always will, but you are ONE LUCKY PERSON to have "never" had a quality problem. Consider yourself very very lucky. In the past 7-8 years every single Mac product I've purchased had to get swapped out one or more times.
I haven't owned I've owned enough--and my close family in addition--and I've never had any problems.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air