Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Would be nice (and cheaper) if Adobe offered a smaller cloud package too, don't you think? it's great that they offer everything in one go, but I'm one of those users who use very few of their apps.

Perhaps a choice of 5, for example, rather than the entire collection (at a reduced fee).

Or maybe I'm alone in wanting this. What do you think?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I think it is a great deal for those who can not afford the retail version. $600 a year compared to an initial layout of $2600 and then $500 for every upgrade. When I first started using Adobe's products many years ago, same as you, I only required a few of the programs. But over the years I have come to use most of their programs and find it very convenient to have the few I only occasionally use, around when I need them. But I am sure there are many people who would only prefer 1 or 2 of the programs and will stay away because of it.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It's interesting: Photoshop CS6 can be purchased for $700; upgrades are $200; a year subscription is $20/mo; a month-to-month is $29/mo.

I would guesstimate using PS for about 4 years would mean purchase plus 2 upgrades: $1100, $275/yr. (but you'd have to check). So the subscription would be a good deal at the year rate.

I do wish this would catch on. Software you buy and use for years IS already rather like a subscription; at least with the subscription you know the costs and the developer doesn't have to wait to bundle together feature upgrades to justify some random upgrade fee. They just come. Contrast with the Mac App Store: upgrades are "full" price, and you never know how long your current version will last and what the 5 year cost would be. Take Aperture: it cost less than LR, but Aperture 4 will probably be another $79...but we can't say.

Since Apple does have the store, maybe they can so the same route: say $40/yr for Aperture. Be easy to tie it into your Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.