Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Hey guys,

I've been using Gas Cubby since its early days, but it's very clear to me that the development on it has been all but abandoned. They might fix bugs and the app does a decent job overall, but there are no automatic backups, getting an overview of your maintenance "situation"/future is a pain in the butt. I do the MPG tracking, but overall, I find myself longing for a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I think the developers just don't really get it or don't want to put in the development effort. Problem is Gas Cubby keeps coming up in all these old app reviews and so it makes hard to search for new alternatives.

Here's an example spreadsheet that I did for a family car (car's been sold so it says oil hasn't been changed for 2 years, heh). That is the kind of overview I'm looking for.

Anyone has suggestions for good apps for service logs (and hopefully gas mileage while they are at it)?

appcubby

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
The reports of Gas Cubby's death are greatly exaggerated.

We actually started a complete re-write of the app last fall, but the project got stalled out. We're currently working on an update for iOS 6 compatibility and are hoping to either pick back up the re-write, or keep adding features to the existing version soon.

Trying to work simultaneously on every app is tough for indie developers. Take a listen to this podcast where the founder of Panic talks about the challenges of working on multiple projects: http://media.muleradio.net.s3.amazonaws.com/shows/thetalkshow/talkshow-5.mp3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.