Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While several observers have noted shortages of Apple's current 27-inch iMac at resellers over the past several months, the tight supplies now appear to be increasingly affecting Apple's own retail stores. According to a survey of retail store stock availability through the "Personal Pickup" program at Apple's 249 U.S. locations, each of the two standard 27-inch iMac configurations is currently out of stock at approximately half of all Apple retail stores.

Under the Personal Pickup program, customers can place their orders online and pick up the items at their local Apple retail stores. Most stock Mac configurations and many accessories are generally available for immediate pickup, but for items that are not in stock at a particular location, the company will ship the ordered items to the store for pickup within about a week.

imac_27_sept_7.jpg

Our survey of Apple's retail stores shows that 120 out of the 249 U.S. locations are currently out of stock of the base 27-inch iMac model, with 135 locations being out of stock of the high-end configuration. Most of the stores are quoting a pickup date in the range of September 4-7, indicating that Apple will be able to deliver new orders for pickup fairly quickly, although some locations are quoting availability for as far out as September 11.

As with the shortages seen so far at resellers, Apple's shortages appear to be limited to the 27-inch models, with the 21.5-inch iMac continuing to be widely available at the company's retail stores. In our survey, we found only seven Apple retail store locations currently out of stock of the base 21.5-inch iMac model, all of which could offer pickup in the range of September 4-7.

Apple has been expected to release updated iMacs using Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors at any time, with several reports having suggested that an October launch would be likely. One point of contention has been whether the new models will offer Retina displays, although the general consensus now seems to be that Apple will need to wait until next year for the higher-resolution displays to come to its desktop lineup.

Article Link: Shortages of 27-Inch iMacs Hitting Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

emjaymert

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
imac update

The average amount of time between updates over the past 5 years has been 273 days. So far for this update,its been close to double that. I wonder what goodies Apple has in store for us?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
for professional reasons, this might be my first iMac ;)
bring on TB and Retina!!!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not sure this shortage means anything relating to new imacs, but the wait for new desktops this year has been excruciatingly long.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Dammit MacRumors don't give me false hope! Just don't.... :( Been waiting forever now to order 28 Macs.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Wasn't the Apple Store inventory low for Mac Pros just a few months ago also?

Not expecting a huge update. USB3, and faster processors. Lots of unhappy readers...

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
"Premature Specification"

It's premature to expect retina displays on the largest iMac.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wasn't the Apple Store inventory low for Mac Pros just a few months ago also?

Not expecting a huge update. USB3, and faster processors. Lots of unhappy readers...

It was, and they did a minor update of it. I believe Tim Cook sent out a statement to some unhappy customers letting them know a more substantial update would be coming to both the iMac and Mac Pro by March of next year. This may be that more substantial update for the iMac. The bigger Mac Pro update may be the one happening next year.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
No chance. The 27-inch is huge. Apple needs a smaller display to suit those with smaller desk space and smaller budgets.

Agreed, I'm looking at getting an iMac but the 27" is waaaaay to much for me in terms of screen size. 21.5" is perfect for my needs.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Nothing on the 21.5, could it possibly be getting the axe ?

I doubt it, judging by Craigslist, most sale are for the 21.5". 1199$ for an all in one Mac is the sweet point I think. If they did get rid of it I think they would make a 23" in the same price range as the 21.5 and keep the 27".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.