Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:28 AM   #1
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

iPhoto Bug???

My parents have just got a new iBook and keep asking me how to do a mountain of different tasks. They imported a load of digital photos into iPhoto and that has worked great. The problem appears when they comment a picture. Now when you go to edit the photo all you get is the spinning disk in the middle of the iPhoto window. Also the file size goes from about 700k upto 1.2M! Very strange bug and something I have never come across, probably because I have never commented things in iPhoto.

Has anyone else evr come across this one? Or anyway to fix it....
R.Youden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:56 AM   #2
Darwin
macrumors 65816

Never seen this before, my iPhoto works fine but prehaps it could be a bug

is this happening with the latest iPhoto 5.0.4?

Does it happen with any picture?
Darwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:05 AM   #3
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

Yeah it is iPhoto 5.0.4 and it happens only to the photos that are commented. I have checked disk permissions etc... but nothing has made any difference!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Applespider
macrumors 603

Haven't seen this before either. I wonder if it's related to the current bug-du-jour to do with the size of iPhoto.Library (in the iPhoto Library folder) which I think is the file where comments get written to. It shouldn't be bigger than about 30MB with several thousand images in it. If it's over 100MB, you might have this MakerNote bug which seems to cause this file's size to swell and thus iPhoto to take an age to open and close. This seems to affect certain makes of cameras at the moment - there's lots of info on the Apple discussion boards about it. But I'm not sure if this is what is causing your problem since as far as I'm aware it might cause the beachballing but not the increase from putting in comments.

How are they putting in comments? Via the batch comments or on each individual image? If they're cutting and pasting, there's not some weird formatting or image that they're trying to mistakenly paste in? Just trying to think what might cause a 500K file size leap...
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:41 AM   #5
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

It is a small Kodak camera and they only take a few little pics with it. Each comment is added individually. It is not the beach ball that appears but the spinning disk such as the one that appears on teh start-up of teh mac and when a website is being loaded in a tab under safari. I will check the iPhoto.Library file when they get home.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store