Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem since the beginning: If I have some windows on each space, scrolling between them with trackpad gestures becomes really choppy. I was just trying out having a dock on the left side of the screen, and that problem disappeared completely. To make sure, I installed MountainTweaks and turned on 2D dock, and granted, it worked as well.

So is there something so graphically intensive about the new 3D dock that makes animations so choppy? Is this a bug that will be corrected in the near future?

I'm running a 2012 MBA i5 8GB, if it makes a difference.

Cheers

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem since the beginning: If I have some windows on each space, scrolling between them with trackpad gestures becomes really choppy. I was just trying out having a dock on the left side of the screen, and that problem disappeared completely. To make sure, I installed MountainTweaks and turned on 2D dock, and granted, it worked as well.

So is there something so graphically intensive about the new 3D dock that makes animations so choppy? Is this a bug that will be corrected in the near future?

I'm running a 2012 MBA i5 8GB, if it makes a difference.

Cheers

I get it when swiping on my Magic Trackpad sometimes. The reason the animations are slower is because the dock uses so much graphics power from having to draw the whole background...

mhsrnn.png

and it doesn't draw the images from the resources files like in the previous versions.

When you switch to the 2D dock it uses a lot less graphics power.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
yes, thats what i'm experiencing too.

because it may be based on hardware inability to handle it, i can imagine apple not giving a **** and using this as a reason to keep buying their new hardware. which is ridiculous because they are releasing an OS every year.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Having folders instead of stacks does help quite a bit, but it still isn't as fluid as with a 2D dock.

Do some of you with the more powerful GPUs also experience this?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i'm not using any stacks or folders on my dock and i can tell you this:

the lagg gets alot worse when im connected to external at 1080P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.