Update Mac OS Snow Leopard to OS X Mountain Lion - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Sep 2, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
cthesky
macrumors member

Update Mac OS Snow Leopard to OS X Mountain Lion

Hi all,

Before this I am developed IOS application using XCode 4.2 which run under Mac OS Snow Leopard. But now I need to use XCode 4.4.1 which required Mac OS X version 10.7.4 or later.

So, is it possible my documents or data for example my previous developed application source code, keychain certificates, sample codes and other important data will lose after I update Mac OS to OS X Mountain Lion?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.
cthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I had no issues upgrading.

One thing: if you're planning on joining the Mac Dev program anytime soon, you might want to just do that now. You can get Mountain Lion + Mountain Lion Server for free if you do that. If you're just sticking to iOS for the next year though, there's no real point as the Mac Dev program costs $100/year to enroll in.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #3
cthesky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I had no issues upgrading.

One thing: if you're planning on joining the Mac Dev program anytime soon, you might want to just do that now. You can get Mountain Lion + Mountain Lion Server for free if you do that. If you're just sticking to iOS for the next year though, there's no real point as the Mac Dev program costs $100/year to enroll in.
I plan to use latest IOS and XCode to develop my new IOS application, but the latest XCode required Mac OS X version 10.7.4 or later. So, I plan to upgade the OS to Lion before install the latest IOS and XCode. Or am I doing something wrong? Or is it possible to use latest IOS on an older version of XCode?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthesky View Post
Hi all,

Before this I am developed IOS application using XCode 4.2 which run under Mac OS Snow Leopard. But now I need to use XCode 4.4.1 which required Mac OS X version 10.7.4 or later.

So, is it possible my documents or data for example my previous developed application source code, keychain certificates, sample codes and other important data will lose after I update Mac OS to OS X Mountain Lion?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.
BACKUP BEFORE THE UPGRADE! At least backup your developer certificates and keychain.

First thing to check is if you have the hardware to support ML. If so, do an upgrade straight to it, bypassing 10.7. Search for any relevant release notes regarding that jump. Then install the current version of Xcode.

Xcode is restricted to working on certain OS X versions. For instance you can't run 4.2 on Mountain Lion. You can run 4.4.1 on Lion, but why would you if you can run Mountain Lion.

Sure, an upgrade could corrupt your system so bad that a clean install would be required. You could loose everything. I've never seen that problem. Anyway, BACKUP.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
cthesky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStep View Post
BACKUP BEFORE THE UPGRADE! At least backup your developer certificates and keychain.

First thing to check is if you have the hardware to support ML. If so, do an upgrade straight to it, bypassing 10.7. Search for any relevant release notes regarding that jump. Then install the current version of Xcode.

Xcode is restricted to working on certain OS X versions. For instance you can't run 4.2 on Mountain Lion. You can run 4.4.1 on Lion, but why would you if you can run Mountain Lion.

Sure, an upgrade could corrupt your system so bad that a clean install would be required. You could loose everything. I've never seen that problem. Anyway, BACKUP.
Thanks for your reply. I just found that my system model is quite old and unable to run Mountain Lion. My system model is MacBook 4,1 and I just do some survey found that this model still support Lion. But I cannot found any Mac OS X 10.7 Lion showed in App Store. Can I still get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from App Store?

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthesky View Post
Thanks for your reply. I just found that my system model is quite old and unable to run Mountain Lion. My system model is MacBook 4,1 and I just do some survey found that this model still support Lion. But I cannot found any Mac OS X 10.7 Lion showed in App Store. Can I still get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from App Store?

Thanks.
I believe your own way of upgrading to Lion at this point is by purchasing it on a key drive...
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming