Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I think important to buying cases made in you country. Iphone 5 here this month. I know form me other post Element case made in USA. Do you recommending other Made in USA case?

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
REI Stores carry a very nice case made in the USA - I forget the name of the case but go look at REI - they carry all the Otterbox stuff too....

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
USA - Minnesota made paper iPhone 4 & 5 cases

Hi - I'm Jon from Twig Case Co. and we make our laser-engraved handmade cases in Minnesota, in the USA! (since 2011) :cool: Our cases are paper and bamboo, and are the only Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) certified Apple accessories out there, as well as the strongest cases made from natural materials on the market. We currently have our iPhone 4 & 4S case for sale at http://www.twigcase.com, and we will be doing a iPhone 5 case when it's out. (As well as an iPad case!)

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Attachments

• reddit-cases-plain.jpg
    reddit-cases-plain.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I don't choose a case based on country of origin. I buy cases that I like regardless where it was made. After all the iPhone itself is made in China.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I believing you should giving made in USA case chance. It would be nice to seeing all you moneys staying in USA. I see Otterbox liked by many peoples here and they making their cases in USA that is wonderful. Can you imaging if Apple making IPhone in USA they stocks could going to new high

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
@PaulChowHK

With all due respect, why you say it is important to buy cases made in your country? Whhen you seem to be from HK and not the US.

And if the iPhone was made in the US, it would cost way too much.

Last edited:

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
@PaulChowHK

With all due respect, why you it is important to buy cases made in your country? You seem to be from HK and not the US.

And if the iPhone was made in the US, it would cost way too much.

We buying make in China and helping us much. Maybe if IPhone make USA costing more but thinking how many people working and helping you country. We liking strong USA it helping all the world. This now is too much to dream but for sure many companies making small products in USA and nice for USA people knowing this. This why I making this topic

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
We buying make in China and helping us much. Maybe if IPhone make USA costing more but thinking how many people working and helping you country. We liking strong USA it helping all the world. This now is too much to dream but for sure many companies making small products in USA and nice for USA people knowing this. This why I making this topic

Ok.

But it isn't likely to happen. Right now the Minimum wage for a full time worker in Shenzhen (China) is about $200 a month while in the USA it it $1160. And that is not counting overtime. The price of the phone would be prohibitively expensive for most people.

For the cases is different as they are much cheaper to produce, requiring less employees. I'm sure there will always be USA made cases and accessories.

And here is a link to a casemaker based in SF, USA, I have good experience with their products: http://www.sfbags.com

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Ok.

But it isn't likely to happen. Right now the Minimum wage for a full time worker in Shenzhen (China) is about $200 a month while in the USA it it $1160.

Now paying almost $400 a month and more if worker have skill plus company paying for their food and rent and cost going up every couple months and US dollar going down. Every things changing. Many foreign company starting to bringing their opperation back to their country. If you supporting made in USA you can changing things. Remembering you have the power not the company. Buying for low price killing you guys.

zb1051339743

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Hi - I'm Jon from Twig Case Co. and we make our laser-engraved handmade cases in Minnesota, in the USA! (since 2011) :cool: Our cases are paper and bamboo, and are the only Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) certified Apple accessories out there, as well as the strongest cases made from natural materials on the market. We currently have our iPhone 4 & 4S case for sale at http://www.twigcase.com, and we will be doing a iPhone 5 case when it's out. (As well as an iPad case!)

Papper case?? Sounds wonderful ;-D

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
For those people's who wanting support USA companies and keeping jobs in USA they caring

The problem is many people in the world dislike our country :( It's an unfortunate truth haha.

It's nice to support US companies...there are far more things that can be said (cost of production), but this isn't an econ forum.

I have to admit, I never thought about this before and have no good answers for you...something to consider for the future I guess.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For those people's who wanting support USA companies and keeping jobs in USA they caring

Does that mean paying inflated prices for a crappy piece of aluminium wrapping?

I heard a lot of stuff about this element case company, went all the way down to the one sole distributor in my area, and was very disappointed. 80 dollars for that flimsy little piece of metal ore and 4 screws?

No offence, but this whole "appeal to nationalism" stuff seems more like some scam by manufacturers to disguise the fact that they are no longer able to compete with other companies and have to resort to this sort of chicanery. :p

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
In China no much problem buying makes in China because we having too much cases. If you supporting make in USA more an more companies making in USA and they improving manufacturing and cost going down with volume but more important thing more jobs in USA and that is good thing. Long times ago I hear over 10 billion dollars spending on accessores in one year. If more that moneys going USA more jobs. More peoples buying Apple in China so our markets growings very fast so we finding our country market

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011

You really make nice case. Good luck to you with IPhone 5

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
In China no much problem buying makes in China because we having too much cases. If you supporting make in USA more an more companies making in USA and they improving manufacturing and cost going down with volume but more important thing more jobs in USA and that is good thing. Long times ago I hear over 10 billion dollars spending on accessores in one year. If more that moneys going USA more jobs. More peoples buying Apple in China so our markets growings very fast so we finding our country market

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the American Economy. Regardless of whether this is not an Economic forum or not, your opinion/statements were very intriguing and I enjoyed reading them! Thanks for posting and making me rethink my future purchases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.