Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjaymez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I have my HD-DVD library, ripped using makemkv. The files are on my NAS and play well on my WDTV Live. They play in mplayerx. In VLC they look like crap. The challenge is, I am trying to convert them into something portable for my wife to take with her to the hospital for her labor (sunrise earth, which she finds relaxing), either DVD or h.264 for iPad. Handbrake won't read the files. Toast 10 creates audio only files. iVI doesn't seem to export the video portion of the file either. Neither does iFlicks. I'm kind of at a loss here. Something must be able to read these and convert them into something useful? Ideas?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have my HD-DVD library, ripped using makemkv. The files are on my NAS and play well on my WDTV Live. They play in mplayerx. In VLC they look like crap. The challenge is, I am trying to convert them into something portable for my wife to take with her to the hospital for her labor (sunrise earth, which she finds relaxing), either DVD or h.264 for iPad. Handbrake won't read the files. Toast 10 creates audio only files. iVI doesn't seem to export the video portion of the file either. Neither does iFlicks. I'm kind of at a loss here. Something must be able to read these and convert them into something useful? Ideas?

This is because these HD DVD discs have VC-1 video tracks, inherently incompatible with anything iOS-based out there.

Don't you have access to the same flicks on BR discs (a friend maybe?)? Then, all you would need is just using MakeMKV to (quickly) rip those discs w/o having to reencode the video, assuming the big size isn't a problem. If you absolutely must reencode, let me know and I elaborate on VC-1 conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:

drjaymez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I had a feeling it might be a vc-1 issue. I guess I was just wishing SOMETHING could convert them into something I could use. I don't know anybody with blurays of that content...

Will mp4tools handle the vc-1 content?

Would it be easier to build a windows virtual machine to work with the content?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I had a feeling it might be a vc-1 issue. I guess I was just wishing SOMETHING could convert them into something I could use. I don't know anybody with blurays of that content...

Will mp4tools handle the vc-1 content?

Would it be easier to build a windows virtual machine to work with the content?

Try MP4tools first, it's free and worth a shot!

Anyway, I just found this guide from this very site on google.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/558554/

drjaymez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
mp4tools, unfortunately, can't read the audio. Thanks for the link Risco, but I think a multi-step process is a bit much for 4 isolated 1 hour conversions...If there aren't any single software solutions, perhaps I will just re-purchase the DVDs.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Handbrake hasn't had issues with my HD-DVD sourced MKVs. You could try remuxing the MKV (maybe with just the video and audio track) with MakeMKV then try handbrake again.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Are you sure it handles VC-1? I've tested it (registered, officially purchased, latest version) with the standard VC-1 MKV at http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/vc1_1080p_ap_l3_18mbps_ac3_hddvd.mkv - no dice, it displayed the following error (copy from the log file):

Cannot find file /Users/werner/Downloads/vc1_1080p_ap_l3_18mbps_ac3_hddvd.mkv.temp.Video.h264
Error importing /Users/werner/Downloads/vc1_1080p_ap_l3_18mbps_ac3_hddvd.mkv.temp.Video.h264:name=1080p VC-1: Requested URL is not valid or cannot be found

BTW, interestingly, MKVTools of the same dev, couldn't convert it either. It, according to http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MoKgVm2DVD/version-history ("MKVtools now recognizes and can re-encode videos with VC-1 video track often found in makeMKV videos."), should be able to do this.

What app can you use to correctly convert / remux this file?

(Tested under 10.8.1 w/o Perian.)

drjaymez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Handbrake hasn't had issues with my HD-DVD sourced MKVs. You could try remuxing the MKV (maybe with just the video and audio track) with MakeMKV then try handbrake again.

tried it while troubleshooting this afternoon. Which involved pulling the HDDVD drive and the disks out of storage in the garage. No dice. Handbrake doesn't recognize the source.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Try the app AirVideo. Typically it plays pretty much everything and you can use it to convert mkv files to m4v files,

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
tried it while troubleshooting this afternoon. Which involved pulling the HDDVD drive and the disks out of storage in the garage. No dice. Handbrake doesn't recognize the source.

Strange - it should, even on 10.8.1 without Perian. It does recognize the VC1 MKV file I've linked above. Are you sure you have the latest HB? Can you post a screenshot of MediaInfo's report? It should look like similar to the following, video track-wise:

mediainfo-vc1-mkv.png

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Try the app AirVideo. Typically it plays pretty much everything and you can use it to convert mkv files to m4v files,

Yup, it works with VC-1 MKV files (for example, the above-linked one on my 10.8.1 + no Perian system); however, it delivers a definitely lower quality during both dynamic streaming and offline conversion. The horizontal resolution, by default, is 800 (as opposed to Full HD's 1920) and the maximal size you are allowed to use is HD (1280). Unfortunately, the latest beta's H.264 passthru can't be used in this case either (as we have a VC-1 source).

All in all, the OP will want to prefer troubleshooting HandBrake to make it work, should he want the best possible quality.

drjaymez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I have Media Inspector, so here is that output:
Screen_Shot_2012_09_02_at_6_07_20_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2012_09_02_at_6_07_37_PM.png

I updated handbrake from like 0.95 to like 0.98 so will try again and see if that helps.

----------

Ha! Now instead of saying invalid source, opening the source file reliably crashes handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.