Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Hi,

I have a 2009 17" imac, which has support for target display mode over mini displayport.

my question is, if I got a thunderbolt equipped macbook pro, would I be able to use target display mode by running a mini displayport cable between them?

More clearly: I want to use my 2009 Mini DisplayPort iMac as a 2nd monitor for a Thunderbolt Macbook Pro. I know this wouldn't work with a Thunderbolt cable, but maybe with a mini displayport cable?

Last edited:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
This should work.

Thunderbolt ports can output a signal over a mini-displayport connection just fine, but they only accept thunderbolt signals as an input.

I often have my 2011 iMac connected to an external monitor, and that connection is via a DVI cable and a DVI/mini-displayport adapter, so your connection between the laptop and the iMac should work fine. :)

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
I'm fairly certain this will not work. I believe that both machines need to have Thunderbolt ports for target display mode to work. I recall this being a bit of a sticking point when Thunderbolt ports were introduced last year.

While Thunderbolt ports can output a displayport signal which works with regular monitors, I don't believe this works for target display mode.

Perhaps someone with first-hand experience will be able to confirm either way.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm fairly certain this will not work. I believe that both machines need to have Thunderbolt ports for target display mode to work. I recall this being a bit of a sticking point when Thunderbolt ports were introduced last year.

While Thunderbolt ports can output a displayport signal which works with regular monitors, I don't believe this works for target display mode.

Perhaps someone with first-hand experience will be able to confirm either way.

I'm not sure on target display mode. I just wanted to add that not all cables perform alike. If a proof of concept can be determined, it's important to note the cable used. Some of the cheap ones are a bit flaky and there are a lot of things where something works with a cable but not the adapter or a mini displayport cable works while the Apple thunderbolt cable will not work. The point being if someone with a working solution is found, it's important to note the full details of what worked.

jmck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
This should work.

Thunderbolt ports can output a signal over a mini-displayport connection just fine, but they only accept thunderbolt signals as an input.

That does make it sound like it should work. I really need to borrow a newer Macbook Pro from work to try this out… my work Macbook Pro is pre-thunderbolt)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.