Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Should I get set up a Linux file server to make back ups for my computers or should I buy an external hard drive and set it up with Time Machine on my Mac?

Also, If I boot into Recovery Mode and select Reinstall Mountain Lion will it install OS X Mountain Lion without erasing my user files and settings?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
The time machine option is "set it and forget it.". The Linux option is way more hands on. Which do you feel like dealing with?

Hands on. But do you think you could answer my last question? Cause if I wanted to do a clean install and then re import my User files back on my Mac it would be really easy with the external hard drive. But, how would I import my User files from the Linux server back to my Mac after the clean install?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
IIRC starting from Lion there is no "Erase and install" or "Archive and install" option. All is left is "Upgrade". You should check Apple's support database, it will surely be explained.

So I can click the Reinstall Mountain Lion button and it won't erase everything?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I can't guarantee it but I think so. In doubt, back up everything.

Yeah I think I'll back everything up before I try :) . So if it does delete everything how would I transfer the files from the Linux file server back to my Mac? I think I would know how if all my files were on an external hard drive but what if they were on a server.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Yeah I think I'll back everything up before I try :) . So if it does delete everything how would I transfer the files from the Linux file server back to my Mac? I think I would know how if all my files were on an external hard drive but what if they were on a server.

That is absolutely out of my field of expertise. I'll answer you in a year or two :p

I guess that if you don't know how to do it, you should stick with a regular hard drive.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
We'll I discovered this thing called rsync that works really well for making a backups! I think I'll wait until I learn more about servers before I use one. But I still may get an external hd. Not sure yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.