Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Or just a mic on one side and more "holes"??? Have any of the parts pictures showed this? I know that 2" doesn't make for stereo separation, but improved and slightly separated ones would be a nice improvement to those who don't want earbuds in all the time.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Not really relevant to your post but the uneven number of holes on each side of the dock port destroys my life (OCD :p).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not really relevant to your post but the uneven number of holes on each side of the dock port destroys my life (OCD :p).

Completely agree. As soon as I saw the detailed pictures and noticed that one side has more holes..I was like..crap!!!

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
One side has to be for a microphone (probably the one with the lesser amount of holes). Or else how would anyone would a person be able to speak into the phone without bluetooth or headphones with mic.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Or just a mic on one side and more "holes"??? Have any of the parts pictures showed this? I know that 2" doesn't make for stereo separation, but improved and slightly separated ones would be a nice improvement to those who don't want earbuds in all the time.

I think the side with less holes is the mic. And the other side is the speaker. So, no, not stereo.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
My intent was to see if anyone has seen parts that show the speaker(s). Yes, the world knows of the sept 12th promo. No way that all those holes are for a tiny mic. That would just let dust in.
Pictures of the predicted iPad mini also show two sets of large speaker grills instead of one like current iPads. I'm just saying.....

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Completely agree. As soon as I saw the detailed pictures and noticed that one side has more holes..I was like..crap!!!

Something tells me you guys need to actaully go out and find more to your life if the number of holes on a phone is an issue for you.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Something tells me you guys need to actaully go out and find more to your life if the number of holes on a phone is an issue for you.

Something tells me you don't get the jest of the post. "Destroys my life"... It's obviously overdramatized. Don't come in here trying demean people. :apple:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Something tells me you don't get the jest of the post. "Destroys my life"... It's obviously overdramatized. Don't come in here trying demean people. :apple:

Or you're just an over dramatic person... maybe it's caused by your OCD. I thought "jest" was supposed to be funny, guess I need OCD to get it. :rolleyes: AND if me saying you need to get out more is demeaning you better hold on because your life is going to be a rocky one.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Or you're just an over dramatic person... maybe it's caused by your OCD. I thought "jest" was supposed to be funny, guess I need OCD to get it. :rolleyes: AND if me saying you need to get out more is demeaning you better hold on because your life is going to be a rocky one.

Jest means done for amusement, or to play around, not funny. So you don't know OCD to get it, just a bit of elementary education. And I said don't come in here trying to demean people. </unnecessary justification>

I'm here for my love for Apple, not to argue with bafoons. :apple:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
It's a bit odd that Apple haven't done something interesting with sound / sound quality. I assume they have thought about stereo speakers at least, but haven't got around the way we use devices in portrait and landscape..

I wonder if they've tried a prototype with 3 speakers, which are selected according to device orientation, for stereo sound. And then binned the idea as inelegant.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Jest means done for amusement, or to play around, not funny. So you don't know OCD to get it, just a bit of elementary education. And I said don't come in here trying to demean people. </unnecessary justification>

I'm here for my love for Apple, not to argue with bafoons. :apple:

m-w.com
Definition of JEST
1 a:an utterance (as a jeer or quip) intended to be taken as mockery or humor
2 a: prank b: a ludicrous circumstance or incident
3 a: a frivolous mood or manner <spoken in jest> b: gaiety and merriment

So you were mocking apple with your statment as you said it wasn't done in humor? I also must call Dream Lake elementary in Florida and let them know the education they gave me didn't set me up to understand the subtlety of your jest.

Definition of DEMEAN
: to lower in character, status, or reputation

As you can tell from my op, I in no way tried to lower your character, status or reputation I simply made an observation from your and another members post.

Definition of BUFFOON
1: a ludicrous figure : clown
2: a gross and usually ill-educated or stupid person

As I'm not a clown and the 3 different colleges that gave me degrees to hang on my wall say I'm not ill-educated (maybe I simply fooled them all?) I don't think I fall under your definition of "bafoon". I guess I can be a bit stupid at times so maybe I do qualify as a buffoon..... I know my wife thinks I am but she has special insight you don't so you can't possibly make an educated determination of my status as a buffoon.

I'm a horrible speller so spend a lot of time spell checking words as I can't add the proper program MR wants me to add to do active spell checking (tax payers computers and all ya know. Even with my checking I still fall miserably short with many typos and gramatical errors). I say this for clarification purposes because if I ever felt the need to TRY and demean anyone I would certainly want to spell the words I use to try and do so correctly.

As far as arguing.... naaaaa not doing that. Simply having a conversation via the internet with others. Just because we don't agree on a certain topic doesn't mean we're arguing, I like to use the word discussing. This will be the last post I have on this subject.

Have a GREAT day!!

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
It would be great for your music-loving pet mouse but I'm guessing fairly pointless otherwise (guessing because I've never tried to listen to stereo speakers 2" apart). A better single speaker would be very welcome.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's a bit odd that Apple haven't done something interesting with sound / sound quality. I assume they have thought about stereo speakers at least, but haven't got around the way we use devices in portrait and landscape..

I wonder if they've tried a prototype with 3 speakers, which are selected according to device orientation, for stereo sound. And then binned the idea as inelegant.

Seen those pictures of the "nfc" chip? That's actually this: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ents-speakerphone-system-for-ios-devices.html

As for stereo, not so much, but sound quality should improve noticeably.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

Agree. I don't look at the bottom of my phone...Ever. Unsure why others do, and go bonkers over a darn uneven number of holes. :confused: ;)

Some have posted other dumb questions:

1. Which pocket do you carry your iphone in ?
2. Is the white phone for girls ?
3. What do you call your iPhone ?
4. How many apps do you have ?
5. What are they going to call the next iPhone ?

If anyone argues against me, and takes side with any of the above questions being relevant, and worthy of a thread, one needs to seek out professional help. ;)

Guess its more of an entertainment forum for me, reading some silly pointless posts, thinking, who are these people and how old are they.... :D

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Stereo speakers on a phone would just be pointless.

You have never heard a Blackberry Bold 9000. It had Stereo speakers that greatly enhanced the total sound experience on opposite sides of the phone. Have you heard a Blackberry Playbook, or new Samsung Galazy Note 10.1? Both have FRONT separated speakers that make a big difference watching movies etc. No, it's not audiophile "great" sound, but for a phone in a front shirt pocket it sounds much better. The new iPad mock ups show speakers on the bottom instead of the back for a change, that's a start Apple....

This forum was great for a long time, but lately it's filled with personal insults and trolls instead of contributors.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
I'd like to see two speakers, not so much for the stereo separation, but just for volume level. There have been so many times that I'm trying to show someone a video in a moderately noisy environment and can't hear a thing. That's the only thing I miss about my bold 9000. That sucker could get loud.

Some of us don't always have headphones with us, so anything that can raise the max volume output is welcome.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Everything about it is speculation right now. Hell... I could speculate that the extra holes are for the "smellaphone" mode where I can transmite the smell of my surroundings to another iPhone user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.