Brand new MBA & Silverlight fan noise - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Magrathea
macrumors regular

Brand new MBA & Silverlight fan noise

Just got the top of the line MBA i7 13 inch. I've run into a problem with Netflix - when playing video the fans come on full tilt but the CPU usage appears to be low 30% - very strange but odd because all other video plays flawlessly including flash 1080p on youtube with no fan noise at all.

Very odd and looks like I won't be able to use my new MBA to watch Netflix movies while I'm lying in bed.
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:39 AM   #2
jbzcar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrathea View Post
Just got the top of the line MBA i7 13 inch. I've run into a problem with Netflix - when playing video the fans come on full tilt but the CPU usage appears to be low 30% - very strange but odd because all other video plays flawlessly including flash 1080p on youtube with no fan noise at all.

Very odd and looks like I won't be able to use my new MBA to watch Netflix movies while I'm lying in bed.
What are your CPU temps when watching? I use iStat Menus to monitor my temps and control my fan speed. That way I can speed it up or slow it down if I want/need to.
jbzcar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Magrathea
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbzcar View Post
What are your CPU temps when watching? I use iStat Menus to monitor my temps and control my fan speed. That way I can speed it up or slow it down if I want/need to.
Not sure but if my CPU usage is low, temp must be low so it's the Intel 4000 GPU that's heating up and causing the fans to come on, must be a silverlight bug as this laptop plays 1080p flash without breaking a sweat.
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air