Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beto4632

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
When i bought the macbook air couple years ago i started experiencing problems. My camera just stopped working when ever i opened a application or ichat it would read no camera detected to i searched online installed drivers and nothing. So i took it in to a mac repair center and they said its built in to the screen and i would have to replace the whole screen assembly is there a way just to remove the camera:confused: without replacing the whole thing i saw that they go for used an iSight for about $20 online. Thank You

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
I bet it would be a very involved process if it were possible. I had mine fail on my new '12 air and they replaced the entire display assembly (read: "top half of the laptop"). I find it hard to believe a business would replace a $400 part for free under warranty rather than a $20 part.

Did you reset the PRAM and SMC? Check for firmware updates?
I take it the camera isn't showing up in the device manager (can't remember what the mac equivalent is called).

beto4632

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
yes i did do a PRAM and SMC reset and it does not come up in hardware manager. It was going to be to expensive to get it fixed since mine is out of warranty.It might be better just to replace the whole screen than taking it apart piece by piece thank you.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
If your only issue is a dead iSight camera just buy an inexpensive USB camera and call it a day. $35-$70, is a lot cheaper than the prices kicked around here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.