Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I have a 13" Macbook Pro (from the summer of 2010, Core 2 Duo Processor)

So I just noticed today that when I click on my battery icon, I have a notification that says "Service Battery: The battery isn’t functioning normally, and you may or may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. Take your computer in for service. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer."

Additionally, my charger doesn't always work. It only works when the wire is moved around at a certain angle. I can always get it to eventually fully charge, but while it's charging, if it gets moved even slightly it will stop charging.

My question is, are these two issues related? If so, how much would it cost to get this all fixed at an Apple Store? (The closest Apple Store to me is about an hour drive away so I can't just stop by and check)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
My question is, are these two issues related? If so, how much would it cost to get this all fixed at an Apple Store? (The closest Apple Store to me is about an hour drive away so I can't just stop by and check)

You have a phone, right?

New charger: $80
Replacement battery: about $120 + labor, total might be close to $200

If you have AppleCare: $0

The Apple store should be able to check if it's just the charger, or if something else is broken.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
The issues are most likely not related, as a "service battery" error basically means you've used up your battery's life, however as GGJstudios mentioned above you should probably take your computer in for service.

If you want more information about the battery, download a dashboard widget called "iStat Pro"
Look at the battery section on the right, usually Apple will replace your battery if your health is under 80% with less than 300 charge cycles. (You have to be in warranty)

Last edited:

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
MacBook won't turn on. Battery indicator doesn't work. Charger won't light up fully.

I left my MacBook on last night to download something while I slept. I left it plugged in. I woke up this morning and noticed that the green light on the charger wasn't on which was weird since it should have been on and fully charged. Then I noticed the entire laptop was off. I thought that the charger may have just unplugged and the battery died because of the download. That wasn't the case though. I tried moving the charger around, unplugging it, etc. and nothing's working.

Now, I notice that when I plug the charger in, there is a faint green light. But my laptop won't power on and the battery indicator doesn't do anything, it won't even blink.

Do you think something is wrong with my charger, battery, or is the entire MacBook just dead?

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I tried using my old charger (when I bought my new charger, the old one still worked, but you'd have to plug it in and bend the wire at a certain angle).

Same result, just a really faint green light.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried using my old charger (when I bought my new charger, the old one still worked, but you'd have to plug it in and bend the wire at a certain angle).

Same result, just a really faint green light.
Did you take your Mac in for service and have your battery replaced back in December, as recommended when you posted this thread?

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Nope :(

The service battery indicator went away and everything seemed fine so I didn't bother with it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope :(

The service battery indicator went away and everything seemed fine so I didn't bother with it.
I highly recommend you take it in and let them check out your charging system, including charger, battery and logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.