[OS X] Far Cry 3 Problem - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:59 PM   #1
mediaman0610
macrumors newbie

Far Cry 3 Problem

I'll give some background. I'd like to do some gaming but don't have a lot of money for a console or a whole new computer. So I decided to put VMWare Fusion 6 on my late 2012 Macbook Pro.

For the VMWare I decided to use Windows 7 64bit, got it from a buddy.

Today I downloaded Far Cry 3 from UPlay and I did this thinking the game work. At first attempt to launch there were plenty of updates to install. After all of that the game looked like it might launch, but would get stuck on a black screen and just sit there. Knowing that sometimes issues can be resolved by a simple uninstall and re-install I gave that a go. Same issue persists.

Does anyone know of a decent fix? Is there a way to get the game working on my Macbook Pro or am I just SOL?

Thanks guys!

----
Late 2012 Macbook Pro, OS Mavericks
VMWare Fusion 6, up-to-date, to run Windows 7 64-bit
mediaman0610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 08:18 PM   #2
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman0610 View Post
Does anyone know of a decent fix? Is there a way to get the game working on my Macbook
Install Windows using Boot Camp.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 01:32 AM   #3
antonis
macrumors 6502a

I guess it will have a very low FPS even if it runs. Anyway, make sure you have the 3D enabled in the GPU settings of your virtual machine, and that you have allocated a reasonable amount of vram for your virtual gpu.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 07:52 AM   #4
jeremysteele
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Install Windows using Boot Camp.
I'd have to agree. I still laugh whenever I hear about people trying to play newer 3d games on virtualization (unless it does direct passthrough like xen, but that's another story)
jeremysteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Confusius
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'll give some background. I'd like to do some gaming but don't have a lot of money for a console or a whole new computer. So I decided to put VMWare Fusion 6 on my late 2012 Macbook Pro.

For the VMWare I decided to use Windows 7 64bit, got it from a buddy.

Today I downloaded Far Cry 3 from UPlay and I did this thinking the game work. At first attempt to launch there were plenty of updates to install. After all of that the game looked like it might launch, but would get stuck on a black screen and just sit there. Knowing that sometimes issues can be resolved by a simple uninstall and re-install I gave that a go. Same issue persists.

Does anyone know of a decent fix? Is there a way to get the game working on my Macbook Pro or am I just SOL?

Thanks guys!

----
Late 2012 Macbook Pro, OS Mavericks
VMWare Fusion 6, up-to-date, to run Windows 7 64-bit
I'm running Far Cry 3 on a 2013 i7 MBA under Bootcamp/win 7. If you play at a lower resolution, you should be fine with your machine. UPlay is a nuisance at first, but you get used to it.
Confusius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:03 PM   #6
mediaman0610
macrumors newbie

Why would Boot Camp perform better than VMWare?
mediaman0610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:27 PM   #7
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why would Boot Camp perform better than VMWare?
Because VMWare emulates Windows while Boot Camp installs the operating system natively, giving it full access to all hardware resources.

Edit: Check out this benchmark comparison between Boot Camp and Parallels. It's only one game, and Bioshock Infinite is arguably a less intensive game than Far Cry 3. Do the math from there.

Last edited by saturnotaku; Jul 8, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #8
Erasmus
macrumors 68020

I would suggest the OP uses Boot Camp, and then links Fusion 6 to use that install. That way you get the convenience of running both OSes simultaneously, and when you want to play demanding games, you can boot into native Windows.

That said, in the past when I have tried this, I have run into licensing problems with Windows, as it doesn't like running native and virtualised on one licence, even if it is on the same damn hardware. And I'm not buying two copies of Windows just to do that. I don't know if that problem has been fixed yet.
Erasmus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #9
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
That said, in the past when I have tried this, I have run into licensing problems with Windows, as it doesn't like running native and virtualised on one licence, even if it is on the same damn hardware. And I'm not buying two copies of Windows just to do that. I don't know if that problem has been fixed yet.
Because VMWare and Parallels install a proprietary set of drivers for use in a virtual environment, Windows thinks it has been installed on a second computer. When the activation window pops up, use the phone method to activate. When the bot asks how many computers you're installing Windows on, say one, and you should receive a code to enter.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games