Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
My fathe and I are heading to the apples store to get a Mac mini to replace his jailbroken apple 2. He uses it mainly for xmbc, and it wasn't that good at it. The Mac mini should have all the solutions he needs. I just need to make sure of one more thing, does the cute Lil machine still have an IR sensor?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I'm running Plex and it accepts my Harmony commands fine. I imagine it would also work with XMBC and other universal remotes.

Interesting. Are you using more than the directional, enter and menu commands? What device are you using in the Harmony software?

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
I find that better touch tool is actually really helpful in mapping some of the system keys to make the remote work across the system.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Interesting. Are you using more than the directional, enter and menu commands? What device are you using in the Harmony software?

It's probably because the Plex software supports the Harmony remotes as a specific input device.

It uses the usual directional, enter, etc but also the info, back, FF, RW, play, pause, stop all work too. Probably others too but I don't uses them myself. Not sure about the number keys but they really wouldn't come in handy anyway.

*****Just checked, but the number keys do function. When in a list, pressing a number key it takes you to the beginning of the list associated with that number, ie 6 takes you to the start of the M section.

It is added in Harmony as Media Center PC.

Last edited:

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
It's probably because the Plex software supports the Harmony remotes as a specific input device.

It uses the usual directional, enter, etc but also the info, back, FF, RW, play, pause, stop all work too. Probably others too but I don't uses them myself. Not sure about the number keys but they really wouldn't come in handy anyway.

*****Just checked, but the number keys do function. When in a list, pressing a number key it takes you to the beginning of the list associated with that number, ie 6 takes you to the start of the M section.

It is added in Harmony as Media Center PC.

This is great news. All previous attempts pointed towards the IR only accepting Apple remote commands and having to use event ghost or similar.

Are you doing this under OSX or Windows 7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.