Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
For those who insist that one hand use is of paramount importance, how will you cope with the possibility that a 4" taller screen of the rumored 6th gen iPhone will make this harder to do?

Bare in mind also that the "Back" button is often located top left, and the notification pull down is at the top.

Link: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Will...r-the-same-full-screen-thumb-coverage_id34016

thumbdrum.jpg

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
For those who insist that one hand use is of paramount importance, how will you cope with the possibility that a 4" taller screen of the rumored 6th gen iPhone will make this harder to do?

Bare in mind also that the "Back" button is often located top left, and the notification pull down is at the top.

Link: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Will...r-the-same-full-screen-thumb-coverage_id34016

I must have huge hands, because I can put my thumb way past the "reach" part on the iPhone 4S, even past the top left corner of the hardware.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Three things

1) The display on the 6th Generation iPhone appears to be significantly lower down on the device than it is in your image. This will help with reachability.

2) The bezel on the new iPhone also appears to be slightly smaller. Again this will help things.

3) The "reach" area on the images appears to be over estimated, I by no means have large hands but can easily reach every corner of the current iPhone display without really stretching.

If you can easily reach the front facing camera & speaker on an iPhone 4 or 4S with your thumb you will have no issues with the new iPhone display.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I must have huge hands, because I can put my thumb way past the "reach" part on the iPhone 4S, even past the top left corner of the hardware.

This. And with the display on the new iPhone only rumored to be as tall as the very top of the iPhone 4/4S, it's a non-issue.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Guess this means that wider would make using this phone virtually impossible to operate. Whew! Good thing its only taller.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This wouldn't be an issue if all the apps didn't have back buttons in the upper left. With a case on I need to adjust my hand has it is to get my thumb up there. With the same case on the new phone I wouldn't be able to do it. Its strange because on my 4.3" Razr which is bigger I can use with one hand because I never need to touch the upper left of the screen.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
any spot on the iPhone 4 screen is easy for me to reach...and my hands aren't even that big

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Anybody who isn't a child can easily reach across the entire iPhone with just their thumb.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Reach means just that. It doesn't mean can't reach. But I can see how it might be tough to reach the far opposite corner on the new phone. We won't know until we have one in our hands.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010

if I can 1 hand my old galaxy SII with small hands you can one hand an iphone

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Huh? Does anybody else think these statements contradict?

Why? The keyboard doesn't cover the entire screen, it's on the bottom half. As long as he can cover the whole keyboard one handed, he's "gtg". Pretty easy to understand.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Why? The keyboard doesn't cover the entire screen, it's on the bottom half. As long as he can cover the whole keyboard one handed, he's "gtg". Pretty easy to understand.

Thank you. If I need to use my other hand to hit the upper left app, I'm ok with that. I don't need to be able to hit every mm of the phone with one thumb.

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I have small hands and could still use it one handed, I think. I have to kind of slide and roll my 4 bit, all one handed,but I have gotten good! :) my case is a little rounded and thin. Clear belkin back and sides..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.