Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Is it possible to run Crysis 2 in a virtual machine type program like Parallels or VMware Fusion? I would like to use a virtual machine on my rmbp to play Crysis 2. It's the 2.6ghz, 16gb/512gb model with mountain lion.

All of the information I found was pretty old and about running Crysis mainly on 2009 mac models.

I know I could use bootcamp but I would like to airplay the game to my apple TV while it is in use. That's why I am trying to do this natively on the OS X side.

I wouldn't mind using a wrapper and have started reading about them but despite all the research I did, I still don't understand how to get one working. This is the crysis wrapper I was looking at:

http://portingteam.com/files/file/5319-crysis-2-mac/

Someone reported it broken though even though it seems like it worked for a good amount of people based on the comments. They didn't say exactly what was broken so I'm not sure if it is entirely dysfunctional or just glitchy.

Out of the three choices for getting crysis running I would prefer either a wrapper or VM because then it would be native and I could airplay it my apple tv. If it doesn't wind up working with either of those, I will just use BootCamp and forget about airplay.

Last edited:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Although I have never used parallels or VMware Crysis 2 with HR and DX11 pack is even more demanding than Crysis.

I suggest you try the Crysis 1 Demo first but I would recommend booty-C for these games. Harsh reality is very few Macs can play said games at max res even in booty-C.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
i know some people have gotten it to work with various wrapper types.. which is 99% of the time MUCH better performance than a virtual machine. Search the Portingteam.com port database for Crysis and see what people have up to get it running. Ignore some of the broken link messages... its ridiculous they let anyone flat as broken even if its user error.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Have you thought about perhaps just hooking a HDMI cable to your Retina MBP now that it has such a plug?

1) MBPr now has HDMI!

2) you will get great performance in boot camp!

3) HDMI cables are cheap!

4) - you need a HDMI cable on the floor. not sexy.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Although I have never used parallels or VMware Crysis 2 with HR and DX11 pack is even more demanding than Crysis.

I suggest you try the Crysis 1 Demo first but I would recommend booty-C for these games. Harsh reality is very few Macs can play said games at max res even in booty-C.

What is booty-C? I couldn't find any programs called that on google. Unless you are talking about bootcamp.

i know some people have gotten it to work with various wrapper types.. which is 99% of the time MUCH better performance than a virtual machine. Search the Portingteam.com port database for Crysis and see what people have up to get it running. Ignore some of the broken link messages... its ridiculous they let anyone flat as broken even if its user error.

I didn't know that anyone could flag something as broken. I thought it was based on many users failing to get it to work. I'll give the wrapper a try then. That link in my first post is the only wrapper for Crysis 2 on the PortingTeam website. They have one for Crysis 1 too.

The main reason why I have not tried the wrapper yet is because I do not understand the instructions that the PortingTeam provides for each wrapper release. I'll have to watch some videos of how its done to get a better idea.

I have 2 questions though about wrappers:
1. are they easy to remove from macs like other mac applications (just drag to the trash)?
2. Is it possible to run the more recent updates of games (Crysis 2 seems to only work on 1.1 according to everything I read)?

Have you thought about perhaps just hooking a HDMI cable to your Retina MBP now that it has such a plug?

1) MBPr now has HDMI!

2) you will get great performance in boot camp!

3) HDMI cables are cheap!

4) - you need a HDMI cable on the floor. not sexy.

I thought of that after I posted :eek: But I would prefer to stay on the mac side if possible simply because I enjoy mac os x (and linux) more than windows. However if the wrapper or virtual machine do not work out, I will use the HDMI and bootcamp.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
If you want to spend your time playing the game and enjoying it as it was meant to be played, then install Windows under Bootcamp and play it "natively" (you seem to be confused about that- a Windows game is not "native" to Mac OS X, no matter what you run it under- only a game designed for Mac OS X is considered "native").

If you want to spend your time troubleshooting things, tinkering with stuff, and looking up fixes for random issues on the internet (which 99% of the time won't have a suitable solution)- then I suppose you could fire it up in a virtual machine like Parallels or Fusion (though Parallels tends to work better for games).

I would avoid Cider at all costs, especially if you have access to Bootcamp. Cider is a wrapper technology designed to let lazy developers like EA publish half-finished "Mac ports" with as little effort as possible. As you've already found out, it is rare that other games (such as Crysis 2) will run inside Cider, because Cider engines are published on a per-game basis- they're custom tailored for the game they ship with... All the "porting team" guys do is rip out the Cider engine, tweak it, then set it up to run an unintended game. And more often then not there are caveats and issues doing so, because that Cider engine was never compiled to support that particular game.

-SC

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I didn't know that anyone could flag something as broken. I thought it was based on many users failing to get it to work. I'll give the wrapper a try then. That link in my first post is the only wrapper for Crysis 2 on the PortingTeam website. They have one for Crysis 1 too.

The main reason why I have not tried the wrapper yet is because I do not understand the instructions that the PortingTeam provides for each wrapper release. I'll have to watch some videos of how its done to get a better idea.

I have 2 questions though about wrappers:
1. are they easy to remove from macs like other mac applications (just drag to the trash)?
2. Is it possible to run the more recent updates of games (Crysis 2 seems to only work on 1.1 according to everything I read)?

yeah.. they let anyone flag, and sometimes downloads are hard because its just individuals putting up their files on file sharing sites and some people cannot find the links on Linksave links because of all the ads and such, then just click to report broken. I've had some of mine been flagged and I have to report it to get them un-flagged from single user comments... and they weren't broken at all.

Installation is a case by case basis... depends on the wrapper, and how the creator made it. Sadly its a bunch of hobbyists so many do not do an overly professional job (though some do).

Some older wrappers like CXZ/CXEx based ones have extra things to uninstall... but Cider hacks and Wineskin you just trash the app like any other... the Windows game just installs right inside of it. a "wrapper" is just a normal Mac application bundle that the game install into in a normal folder, then when you double click the app, it has everything it needs there inside to get the Windows software running.

Crysis... I have no idea... everything is a game by game basis... there is no single answer.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Your best bet is to connect a Hdmi cable to ur rmbp and play crysis 2 thru windows. No other way around it. Games like crysis are hard enough to run and wrappers are unreliable unless there is significant development done on them. Forget abou running it thru the VMware / parallels as those emulate the graphics card so it won't run well if at all. Playing it on windows will allow you to play at best possible settings and isn't very difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.