Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Using a 3D tv with two pairs of glasses, you can feed two separate 2D video signals to the viewers wearing them. They actually demoed this at the IFA show, with two movies playing on the same screen.

This could be effectively used to allow multiplayer modes where both players get a full screen, on the same tv, without being able to see the opponent's screen. Pretty awesome, methinks! Only issue would be the sound, both players would need to wear headphones so they only hear "their" sound. This can be done though, on the tv demo mentioned above, the 3D glasses had integrated earbuds.

My question is: Why isn't anyone jumping on this??? Of course it's a matter of processing power and memory resources, but really, NOBODY has given this a shot yet? Not even as a gimmick, "look what we can do"?

It was the first thing that came to my mind when I first played a 3D PS3 demo at the IFA 2010. I couldn't wait for developers to start experimenting with that....and two years later, nothing?? :confused:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Any 3D tv can technically do this.

What we need is games that actually use it!

Apologies, I was on the phone when I replied to this. Yeah it'd be a pretty cool feature if you play with friends a lot. But I cannot remember the last time I played split screen with someone now. I only play FIFA with friends actually in the room these days, though that is probably because my closest friends are not gamers.

TJohansson

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
If i put one video on the upper half and one on the lower half of the screen i can se both full screen on my LG 3d TV. I just need something that can split my screen so i can see two movies on fullscreen split on half the screen?

Is there any software that can play two movies fullscreen on half the screen:confused:

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2012-10-14 kl. 12.46.13.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-10-14 kl. 12.46.13.png
    694.8 KB · Views: 171

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
If you live in the US, the PlayStation branded TV that does this is a steal at the moment. When I was over there I saw them in Frys and Best Buy for like $200. That's less than £150 :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As Sony hav now de-prioritised 3D gaming and as the current GM hardware really wasn't powerful enough to support it without some serious compromises, I imagine the chance of this two screen solution ever actually bing put not a game that supports it is slim to none.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
It's a nice idea sure, but apparently doing 3d seriously hampers game performance and I guess not a lot of people play split screen games that much.

When we were kids, I used to put a slice of cardboard in the middle of the TV so that we could play Twisted Metal 2 without seeing each others' screen :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.