Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vectorflux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
As soon had my wife replaced her old MBA which fried itself, our son managed to pull the new one off the table, where it fell about 40cm onto the floor, bumping the corner nearest the DVI port. No problem, I said, it is solid state, it will surely survive a fall like that.... Famous last words. The micro-DVI port ceased to work; subsequent analysis revealed that the port housing must be slightly bent, or the on-board connector slightly off-center. Loose contact. If one jiggles the micro-DVI-VGA adapter, sometimes it works, but not consistently enough to be reliable.

My understanding is that the motherboard might need to be replaced to fix this problem, which seems absurd (after just buying a new MBA:mad:), since it is just an alignment problem. So my question is, it there any other way to fix this this problem reliably?

And: Would the apple reseller fix the problem under warranty? The bent corner will raise suspicion.

Thanks much!

vectorflux

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
No one will repair your laptop in warranty if there's damage to the case. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.