Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
YS2003
macrumors 68020

how to trace the map with CS2

I'm not sure if this is a question I can post on this forum; but since it is related to graphics for publication, I would like to ask this question. I am trying to highlight East Coast of USA in the USA map with some color, while keeping the state borders. I tried "live trace" with CS2 Illustrator with a generic map from a web site; but, it is not working out too well. Is there a better way to do this?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
it all depends on the image - can you post a screen shot or the image?

D
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
YS2003
macrumors 68020

There are a bunch of maps available on the web and I found this site I just want to use the simple USA map with individual state borders to hight light certain states with color (while keeping the state borders visible).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
How about a "select color". Say the boarders were black, so you select black and make a new layer with your selection. Then fill it in with a color you want and adjust the opacity of the layer so the details on the map show through. Hope it works.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:29 PM   #5
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by YS2003
There are a bunch of maps available on the web and I found this site I just want to use the simple USA map with individual state borders to hight light certain states with color (while keeping the state borders visible).
With this map just use the paint bucket. In my previous post I thought the map was detailed.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6
YS2003
macrumors 68020

Don't I need to create a path so that color will stay in a particular state even if I put a layer on that base map? I am wondering what would be the best way to get the path of the map (both outline and state boarder) so that I can do the live paint for the state for highlight.

Last edited by YS2003; Aug 11, 2005 at 10:40 PM.
YS2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 02:19 PM   #7
gangst
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Don't I need to create a path so that color will stay in a particular state even if I put a layer on that base map? I am wondering what would be the best way to get the path of the map (both outline and state boarder) so that I can do the live paint for the state for highlight.
don't bother with a path just make a new layer highlight the area you want, paint tool reduce the opacity then merge the two layers when you're happy wit it.
gangst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:35 AM   #8
YS2003
macrumors 68020

blank USA (and World Map) with Political Borders

I am looking for the clean blnak USA and Word maps with political (or state) borders. I would like to use them to high light certain states (in USA) and countries in the world with color to show where my company's offices/agents are located.

I used the live trace on one of those free maps I found on the web and painted with paint bucket. But, the finished product was not that clean looking and I am wondering if someone can suggest the better to go about completing this task.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 05:11 PM   #9
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I am looking for the clean blnak USA and Word maps with political (or state) borders. I would like to use them to high light certain states (in USA) and countries in the world with color to show where my company's offices/agents are located.

I used the live trace on one of those free maps I found on the web and painted with paint bucket. But, the finished product was not that clean looking and I am wondering if someone can suggest the better to go about completing this task.
I have access to shapefiles for the world... I can get states, counties, cities and roadways... pretty much anything. I can then save these out as jpegs...

See attached.

If there's something a little more precise you're looking for let me know... I'll see what I can do. If you provide me with details and an email address I can get you pretty much anything.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of one.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	34933  

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:50 PM   #10
Sparky's
macrumors 6502a

Bring the map into Photoshop select the "Wand" set tolerance to about 10 and click on the area you want to highlight with color, then set the color you want in the foreground and (once the selection is complete) type "option+delete" to fill the selection with the foreground color. Tweak as necessary and repeat

24"iMac, Adobe CS4, 1T LaCie backup drive
Sparky's is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics