Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleater

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
While I have used both Android and iOS, I definately prefer the iPhone because the user experience is far more user friendly and inntuitive for basic things like checking mail, messaging, etc. But whenever I want to customize some aspect of the phone it becomes a big headache because I have to jailbreak the damn thing just for some small customization because Apple doesn't trust its children with their toys. Anyway if Apple does not provide some kind of option to remove the training wheels from iOS sometime soon I will definately be switching to Android.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Apple's #1 selling point for the iPhone... simplicity. "Everything just works." They will always keep it that way. You think they want to open the OS to things that can cause problems and clog up the Genius Bar with people tinkering with things they shoudn't be?

Apple's response? "There's the door! Enjoy your Android. You'll be back!"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
While I have used both Android and iOS, I definately prefer the iPhone because the user experience is far more user friendly and inntuitive for basic things like checking mail, messaging, etc. But whenever I want to customize some aspect of the phone it becomes a big headache because I have to jailbreak the damn thing just for some small customization because Apple doesn't trust its children with their toys. Anyway if Apple does not provide some kind of option to remove the training wheels from iOS sometime soon I will definately be switching to Android.

Then go to android, if you like having your phone outdated as soon as a new OS comes out (seems like it is every 2 months).

I really don't get this not being able to update you device to the latest OS, but this will always rule android out. Plus...it needs to be smoother, easier to use...more intuitive, etc...before I would even consider the switch.

Honestly...WP7.5 is closer to IOS than android IMHO.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008

Doesn't sound like the iPhone is for you, then.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
It takes 2 minutes to jailbreak your iPhone.
Really don't see why people who want to tweak their phone act like jailbreaking is some over the top process.
You want to tweak then tweak. Just stop bitching about it.

appleater

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Like I said in the post, I like the intuitive user experience, but note that I used the word "option" as there should be an option to "unlock"/"jailbreak" for those who like to tinker. And sorry thisisnotme but jailbreaking is over the top for a $600 "smartphone", especially when you have to wait for the next jailbreak for every update of iOS and whether or not it is untethered.

I don't see how adding the option would ruin the experience for those who don't like to customize their phones to further enhance their user experience. Anyway, hopefully this thread will draw attention to people capable of reason. The whole point of this discussion is to bring this to Apples attention.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
If customization is THAT important to you, then go ahead.
I wouldn't mind a theme store or such, but it's not a big enough deal to make me give up the iOS echosystem.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I'd say Android is going to be your mobile OS if you want customization. The iPhone isn't about customization, it's about simplicity and a consistent experience.

Jailbreaking requires some basic level of knowledge where if you can figure out how to do it, you'll at least be aware that changes you make can have an adverse effect.

The only possible reason I'd see Apple adding a builtin option to fully customize the iPhone would be if the vast majority of iPhone users actively wanted it, and even then I doubt they'd do it. Right now you're in the minority, wanting all those customizations, most people want a smart device that just works. If you want an OS you can tinker with, that's why there's Android.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I also don't get why people bitch about having to jailbreak their iPhone but don't bitch about have to "root" their Android.

Quite laughable.

appleater

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
You're asking for something that's simple but with tons of options.

You really don't see what's wrong with that question?

Actually its quite simple, you have an unlock option for people who want more options. :eek:

----------

Right now you're in the minority, wanting all those customizations, most people want a smart device that just works. If you want an OS you can tinker with, that's why there's Android.

Ya well if people don't say anything it will only get worse, before you know it macs will only be able to download apps through the appstore then what's next?

KaigeG

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Texas
I apologize if it's been said before, but I'm just not going to go over all the posts on this topic. But Apple designed iOS to be easy to use, without having any form of major complexity to it. Kind of like what Tim Cook said regarding "widgets on iPhone," "We cannot simply change the UI of iOS in one swift update, we have a larger consumer base than just the Android doers. We want the software to be as easy to use as it was when people bought the first iPhone, because the majority of iPhone users, have had a previous version of our phone." -Tim Cook. I'm not saying changes to the software to allow major customization couldn't be added in the future, but just remember, Apple has to accommodate to ALL its users, including the "1st Generation" users. :p

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Actually its quite simple, you have an unlock option for people who want more options. :eek:

That is jailbreaking, and like no training wheels you did it understanding your now on your own. Or the other option of becoming a registered developer. Both offer different freedoms/self reliance.

So what your asking for is train wheels off but daddy to still run along behind holding the seat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.