Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam235

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
CA
Hello guys all help is appreciated,
I just turned 18 and off to college and my 2 choices are either

-2013 Chevy Cruze Full Option (i think this is going to be a better investment since its newer it might have a better resell value than the Charger)
-2008 Dodge Charger (well I'm only choosing this because of its looks (what every teenager wants)
Keep in mind that car prices are doubled in the country I'm currently in because of Customs, and gas costs 4.5 dollars a Gallon

May 8, 2008
Hello guys all help is appreciated,
I just turned 18 and off to college and my 2 choices are either

-2013 Chevy Cruze Full Option (i think this is going to be a better investment since its newer it might have a better resell value than the Charger)
-2008 Dodge Charger (well I'm only choosing this because of its looks (what every teenager wants)

Sounds like you already know the Cruze is the better bet.

Keep in mind that car prices are doubled in the country I'm currently in because of Customs, and gas costs 4.5 dollars a Gallon

So, as much as in the US then? :p

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't like either personally but of the 2 I dislike the cruze less.

I wouldn't call a car an investment as the value will go down.

2008 model already took a big hit. You'll buy for less and then when you sell the value won't drop quite as fast as if new.

The 2013 will probably bring in more money when you sell, but you'll also have paid more overall.

Insurance rates may differ, etc..

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I don't like either personally but of the 2 I dislike the cruze less.

I wouldn't call a car an investment as the value will go down.

2008 model already took a big hit. You'll buy for less and then when you sell the value won't drop quite as fast as if new.

The 2013 will probably bring in more money when you sell, but you'll also have paid more overall.

Insurance rates may differ, etc..

Agree with all that...
Decision hinges on how long you will keep the vehicle. My practice is to buy new and hang on to it until it's worn out. In that case, buy one that's more reliable than most, which the Cruze is not. Others swear by buying used to save money, but if you don't have it as long as you would keep the new car, the costs even out. (roughly) Now, mind you, some folks have nearly religious beliefs about which approach is the only wise approach. There's usually more than one way for anything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.