Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2003
I was helping a friend move today and she passed along her old iBook to me. This is a 1Ghz G4 iBook. She has a new one and wasn't sure if the old still worked or not (she said it wouldn't start up anymore but didn't bother investigating as she wanted a newer one anyway.)

In browsing Apple's site today, I discovered that this iBook is in the range of serial numbers that are covered by Apple's logic board replacement program. Cool. This might turn out to be an easy fix and a free iBook. But I wonder if Apple still honor this program for someone who is not the original owner. Does anyone know? I'm going to call Apple tomorrow to find out, but any pointers on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Just don't say anything. I'm pretty sure they just go by serial. No receipt, name, etc. Since it's covered (if it is) they'll just send you the box and have it sent out. I don't think they really care if the original owner is sending it or if someone else is.

Congrats on the iBook!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I look forward to hearing what Apple had to say. Chances are they will fix it once eligibility is confirmed. When going to the Apple Store they always use the serial number. Good luck. ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Yea, Apple Warranties go by serial number

When I had my iBook G3, it was registered to "Neal Schwartz"
When the genius scanned the serial, looked at me (I'm obviously not a Neal), I explained the circumstances, and he said it was cool: "We go by serial number, not owner."

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2003
Hey, thanks to everyone for the responses!

I called our local store (non-Apple, but an authorized one.) The guy who answered the phone told me he was in exactly the same spot a month ago, received a broken iBook from a friend and he said Apple was just fine with repairing it under the logic board program. I will however post here when I'm through it and let you all know how it went.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.