Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I don't quite get the difference between Calendar and Reminders. Is Reminders some kind of second calendar application that can be used for appointment reminders?

I do have some entries in Calender (i. e. a reminder every day at 7 am to take my vitamins) that I would like not to see there because I would like to have in Calendar only my "real" events and appointments. I did now create a daily repeating reminder for this in Reminders. However, it is only visible today in Reminders and not on any of the following days.

Also, can I snooze (and possibly better than in Calendar) events that I put into Reminders?

Can somebody explain this to me? Thanks.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I don't quite get the difference between Calendar and Reminders. Is Reminders some kind of second calendar application that can be used for appointment reminders?

I do have some entries in Calender (i. e. a reminder every day at 7 am to take my vitamins) that I would like not to see there because I would like to have in Calendar only my "real" events and appointments. I did now create a daily repeating reminder for this in Reminders. However, it is only visible today in Reminders and not on any of the following days.

Also, can I snooze (and possibly better than in Calendar) events that I put into Reminders?

Can somebody explain this to me? Thanks.

Your example is exactly the reason to utilize Reminders. My calendar only has events/meetings I need to attend. Reminders like Calendar has the ability to notify at whatever time you want.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Thanks.

Any idea why my daily vitamins reminder does only show up once in Reminders (on the first day) but not on any of the following days? Should I not see this also on my reminders for tomorrow?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks.

Any idea why my daily vitamins reminder does only show up once in Reminders (on the first day) but not on any of the following days? Should I not see this also on my reminders for tomorrow?

I'm not sure about in iOS 5, but in iOS 6 after you create the reminder you will be able to then tap on it, and set how often and on what days it reminds you. So if it doesn't work like that yet, don't get turned off yet!

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I created on September 1 a reminder "Vitamins2" in Reminders and set it to repeat every day.

Today I got a notification "Vitamins2. 4 days ago." I think it is utterly stupid for a daily reminder to add "4 days ago". If this goes on it will one day say "3 years ago".

Also, if I go in Reminders through the various days I see "Vitamins2" only on September 1 (the day I created the reminder) and September 5 (today) but not on any of the following days. This is also stupid - if I i. e. create a reminder for certain monthly payments I want, of course, see them in the Reminders calendar on all upcoming dates.

Also in the Notifications preview I see "Vitamins2" only once and with "4 days ago" added to it which I think is rather stupid.

I think Calender, Reminders, and Notifications in OS X 10.8 work very poor (another thing I cannot understand is why it now is not anymore possible to snooze alerts according to my own needs, like i. e. 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 days, 1 week).

Does anybody know about a third party calendar application with alerts that is completely independent from the Calender/Reminders database?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Today I got a notification "Vitamins2. 4 days ago." I think it is utterly stupid for a daily reminder to add "4 days ago". If this goes on it will one day say "3 years ago".
Actually, that feature is for us procrastinators. We live on the edge and put crap off till death is at our door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.