Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Hi all,
Just thought I'd drop in to let you know that I purchased a crossover 27 inch IPS screen for my Macbook pro and I love it.

I am a photographer and have been looking to upgrade my computer gear for some time. Currently using a 2008 Macbook pro and was undecided as what the next computer would be. I had my mind set on an imac but then realised I'd need the portability of a laptop.
Long story short bought a new cMBP, 2 ssd drives to run in RAID 0 configuration, 16gb ram and the icing on the cake, my new monitor for $360.
I had looked at getting a thunderbolt display for my photography but couldn't justify spending 1000 euro here in Ireland for one.
I had been reviewing the Korean monitors on various boards and forums for some time and decided to invest. It came in at under 300 euro deliver via fed-ex.
I would advise any photographers out there who may be looking to add real estate to their viewing to seriously consider one of these. At less than one third the cost of a thunderbolt display they are a steal.
Cheers
Damien stenson

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
But to compare "apples to apples" ;), you have to remember the Thunderbolt Display is also a laptop docking station with FW, USB 2 ports plus laptop power supply and amplified speakers. Does any other monitor deliver those along with IPS?

I agree the Thunderbolt Display is expensive. That is why I am waiting for a Retina one without FW and with USB 3 ports. I just hope they don't jack up the price past $1000 for the Retina version.

In the meantime I will hold on to my HP 2511x.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
How do you find the brightness, color gamut, color accuracy, and backlighting?

I'm considering one of these, but the dell 2412, while apparently 6-bit, seems like a safer choice. I might go with neither.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I Binged it and came up with this link:

Budget Korean IPS Displays.

They all seem to have one input and it's dual link DVI.

Dale

Edit: Please read this pull-quote from Here.

"PC graphic card must surport Dual link DVI. On-Board graphics cards are also NOT compatible. Please check Display Port of graphic card for compatibility with Monitor, Because monitor be unable to support all display port of your PC. ** Monitor may not be compatible with Mac series and Laptop"

Let the buyer beware...

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
That's because most models of that 27" monitor don't have a video processor and only work at native resolution with dual link DVI. Every Mac made right now either has dual link DVI or can output it with an adaptor.

There's also two other models: One has a Mini displayport but it's fairly expensive, and the other has vga/dvi/displayport as well and will run just about anything (again, pretty expensive). At that point, you might as well buy the Dell monitor.

A problem with these monitors is they have cheap components; The stand is usually cheap (although crossovers have high quality metal cases and decent stands, but they DO cost more!) Lately, there have been people on Overclock.net reporting issues with the controller boards overheating and failing, although I suspect some of that is from running them at 100hz instead of 60hz.

I'm tempted too! I just don't know..

One thing for sure, catleap is a friggin hilarious name for a monitor. Every time I think of it, I envision a cat jumping off a balcony.

pbind

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Crossover to MBP problems

Hi,

I have a macbook pro with an NVIDIA GEForce 320M chipset graphics card. I am trying to connect a Crossover 27 to the macbook. I have a "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" and a dual dvi cable (came with the monitor). I tested the dual dvi cable on a 24" 1920x1080 view sonic and it works fine.

The problem is when I hook everything up, the crossover turns on and shows the desktop for 2 seconds. It then powers off for 4 seconds. It then powers back on for 2 seconds. It cycles this way continuously.

All components are brand new (except for the mbp which is about 2 years old).

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any other suggestions I can try.

I know that the mbp isn't officially supported but I have read that people were having success so I thought it was worth a shot.

Here are the specs for the graphics card:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3533
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Thanks,
Paul

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi,

I have a macbook pro with an NVIDIA GEForce 320M chipset graphics card. I am trying to connect a Crossover 27 to the macbook. I have a "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" and a dual dvi cable (came with the monitor). I tested the dual dvi cable on a 24" 1920x1080 view sonic and it works fine.

The problem is when I hook everything up, the crossover turns on and shows the desktop for 2 seconds. It then powers off for 4 seconds. It then powers back on for 2 seconds. It cycles this way continuously.

I know that the mbp isn't officially supported but I have read that people were having success so I thought it was worth a shot.

Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Connector:

Thanks,
Paul

I looked that chip up on the Net and got this link from Apple Insider:

(Partial quote)
An Nvidia spokesperson told AppleInsider Tuesday that the new 320M was made especially for Apple, and is the successor to the GeForce 9400M, introduced in 2008. The 320M is an integrated graphics chipset for notebooks based on Intel's Core 2 Duo line of processors.

According to Notebookcheck.net, the 320M does not have dedicated graphics memory, but uses shared memory for the system for its graphics processing, giving it poorer performance than a GPU with dedicated memory. The 320M (not to be confused with the GeForce GT 320M) is based on the GT216 core, and offers 48 shader cores.
Full Link

I don't think it has the power needed to run that monitor. Sorry.

I have an '08 MBP with the 8600 GT graphics system that's twice the power and memory of what you are running and I still wouldn't touch one of these crossover monitors. You get what you pay for.

Dale

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Hi all,
Just thought I'd drop in to let you know that I purchased a crossover 27 inch IPS screen for my Macbook pro and I love it.

I am a photographer and have been looking to upgrade my computer gear for some time. Currently using a 2008 Macbook pro and was undecided as what the next computer would be. I had my mind set on an imac but then realised I'd need the portability of a laptop.
Long story short bought a new cMBP, 2 ssd drives to run in RAID 0 configuration, 16gb ram and the icing on the cake, my new monitor for $360.
I had looked at getting a thunderbolt display for my photography but couldn't justify spending 1000 euro here in Ireland for one.
I had been reviewing the Korean monitors on various boards and forums for some time and decided to invest. It came in at under 300 euro deliver via fed-ex.
I would advise any photographers out there who may be looking to add real estate to their viewing to seriously consider one of these. At less than one third the cost of a thunderbolt display they are a steal.
Cheers
Damien stenson
Good for you! I know firsthand how good those displays can be and for $400 you are getting some great value.
But let me point out one thing that's potentially somewhat harmful for your computer. Putting two SSDs in RAID configuration disables TRIM. This may greatly decrease SSD performance and lifespan over time, to the point that the RAID setup may be slower than the non-RAID setup. Just my two cents.
But to compare "apples to apples" ;), you have to remember the Thunderbolt Display is also a laptop docking station with FW, USB 2 ports plus laptop power supply and amplified speakers. Does any other monitor deliver those along with IPS?

I agree the Thunderbolt Display is expensive. That is why I am waiting for a Retina one without FW and with USB 3 ports. I just hope they don't jack up the price past $1000 for the Retina version.

In the meantime I will hold on to my HP 2511x.

I currently own the ATD and love it. Sure its price tag is a little high but it's every bit worth it.
But at the moment I must say that a Retina display will do near to nothing for the ATD. If anything it will drop the color gamut coverage, brightness, graphics performance, etc. for a negligible pixel density increase. Especially since the viewing distance is nearly 2.5 feet; the current ATD outresolves the human eye at typical viewing distances, so it already is Retina.

bleepjay

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Hi,

Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Connector:

Thanks,
Paul

@pbind - Did you ever get this working? I am having the same exact issue trying to connect my mini (and 17" MBP) to this monitor. Are you using 10.8.2?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Every Mac made right now either has dual link DVI or can output it with an adaptor.
The only mac out there with dual-link DVI is the MacPro, and they stopped selling that in the EU.
If you want these high resolutions on a mac, grab a monitor with DisplayPort. The DP->DLDVI adapters are crazy expensive. And Apple sucks for their HDMI support, as they never support HDMI 1.4 (which can run these resolutions as well).

What backlight does this monitor have? Many cheap screens have a lower-than-sRGB LED backlight with only 80% of sRGB gamut or so, really crap!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Glad you like your new purchase!

What do you use to calibrate it? Do you have any measure or links to measures on colour gambit and more?

As for me, I like you love what I have and it works well for me for a few years now - NEC PA 24IW. It simply does exactly what I need it to do and its calibration is outstanding.

Hopefully, your purchase will give you the same few years of great use as I have with mine. There are several choices out there and each with their own perks and negatives.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The only mac out there with dual-link DVI is the MacPro, and they stopped selling that in the EU.
If you want these high resolutions on a mac, grab a monitor with DisplayPort. The DP->DLDVI adapters are crazy expensive. And Apple sucks for their HDMI support, as they never support HDMI 1.4 (which can run these resolutions as well).

What backlight does this monitor have? Many cheap screens have a lower-than-sRGB LED backlight with only 80% of sRGB gamut or so, really crap!

It's not like CCFLs can output every color in the spectrum. Try holding a CD up underneath a florescent light (in fact, perhaps try it with your monitor) - notice how the rainbow reflection has bands that are brighter than others.

Then go outside and hold the CD up to sunlight. Notice the entire rainbow :)

There's no such thing as a perfect light source hehe. Though yes, there are benefits with some forms of light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.