Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
How do you manage both of these? I have a desktop pc with Windows 8, ipad, iphone, and Mac Air. Being a pilot, I'm on the road a lot, so the ipad/mac air/iphone get a lot of use when I'm not home.

But when I'm home, it's mainly PC use. Curious how others co-exist with both pc and mac's on a daily basis? I'm still trying to figure out how to access my PC on the road from my Mac Air.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Not necessarily for doing any kind of remote desktop, but just for sharing files...

Dropbox is absolutely fantastic for accessing files from any of my devices, running any number of different operating systems.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My wife has some scheduling software for her work that's Windows only, but she prefers to take just her iPad with her on the road. So I have a Windows 7 machine running 24/7 at home, and she uses TeamViewer to allow her to log into her scheduling software remotely. It's free, and works really well - especially on an iPad. It can be used with the iPhone too, but the smaller screen makes it a bit of a struggle. You could use it with your Air as well.

We don't transfer files back and forth, however.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
For now, Dropbox to access files across computers.

As a grad student in an academic research lab, I was given the use of a Mac Pro at work and a 13" MBA to take home. I have two PCs at home: 1) dual-booting Windows 7 for gaming and other Windows-specific programs, and various flavors of Linux for school/research that need more power than the MBA, and 2) a storage server that I'm in the process of building that will house photos, music, videos for the wife and I.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I'm all Mac but my mum and dad use PCs (Windows 7). I can cope with them being in the house as long as I don't have to use or fix them :p My dad sometimes thinks I'm too smug though. I've been trying to get dad to switch to Mac for years but he won't. He has got himself an iPad though.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
For file sharing there's Dropbox as other have stated. And there's SugarSync which is like Dropbox but more robust. Although it's nearly as user friendly as Dropbox. If you want simplicity use Dropbox. If you want a bit more including initial storage space use Dropbox. But there will be a learning curve to it compared to Dropbox.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
For file sharing there's Dropbox as other have stated. And there's SugarSync which is like Dropbox but more robust. Although it's nearly as user friendly as Dropbox. If you want simplicity use Dropbox. If you want a bit more including initial storage space use Dropbox. But there will be a learning curve to it compared to Dropbox.

I tried sugarsync and appreciated the added flexibility and features, but Dropbox was so much more reliable and painless to use. I ended up switching back to Dropbox recently after trying both Sugarsync and Google Drive, and I'm glad I made the switch. Not really sure why I left in the first place...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.