Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

The fate of the iPod Classic will tell us a lot about Apple's mindset

If the Classic is updated (240GB?) next week, then that will be a sign that Apple is not so quickly abandoning their roots. It will have ramifications for the quality of their promised Mac Pro update next year, among other things.
StephenCampbell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:48 AM   #2
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Huh? That's a bit of a stretch.

Apple is in the business of selling products. If they abandon a product line, it's because it's not a profitable business.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3
lorenwade
macrumors 68000

Honestly, if they hold on to the classic, it's much less of a stretch to say they're still holding onto their pride.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
chrono1081
macrumors 604

As another poster said, definitely a bit of a stretch (and as far as the Mac Pro comment, completely unfounded).

They don't keep Power PC's around still, or the candy colored iMacs. Technology changes, devices improve, and Apple makes what sells.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
BugBytes
macrumors regular

They should keep the Classic until they can put just as much storage into a Touch or Nano. I think they will, but they probably won't be updating it at all because it's only satisfying the group of customers with huge amounts of music until they can make their other iPod models with larger capacities. Once that happens, I'm almost positive they'll dump it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Chundles
macrumors G4

I'm stunned its still around.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:52 AM   #7
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
If the Classic is updated (240GB?) next week, then that will be a sign that Apple is not so quickly abandoning their roots. It will have ramifications for the quality of their promised Mac Pro update next year, among other things.
Or it will show where they want to go in the future. Think iCloud.
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Maybe I get one....if they discontinue it. Having one of the last would be nice and it is really a classic. Hence the name.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojamo View Post
Or it will show where they want to go in the future. Think iCloud.
iCloud dosent work for everybody.... So I think the Classic s still hitting a market. I am one who loves the Classic and iCloud doesn't work for me (manly data caps and the fact that I would use way to much data). Hope they do update the storage in some way.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:44 PM   #10
jeffy.dee-lux
macrumors 6502a

iCloud definitely doesn't work for me. I don't want to pay for a data plan just to listen to music that I already paid for. And I want to have access to my music when I'm driving in the backroads and flying on a plane, wherever I am in the world.

At the very least, I hope they continue selling the current Classic, a price drop would help too.
jeffy.dee-lux is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:51 PM   #11
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy.dee-lux View Post
iCloud definitely doesn't work for me. I don't want to pay for a data plan just to listen to music that I already paid for. And I want to have access to my music when I'm driving in the backroads and flying on a plane, wherever I am in the world.

At the very least, I hope they continue selling the current Classic, a price drop would help too.
Amen brother..... This is why I love my classic. Not to long ago I took a plain trip from Hawaii to California and boy was I glad to have my ipod classic 160gb
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:10 AM   #12
rdas7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy.dee-lux View Post

I think there's a little confusion here between iCloud and the iTunes Match service.

With iTunes Match, your entire music library becomes available via the internet. You can still keep your library on your computer, but if you delete any tracks, they get a little icon next to them which allows you to re-download them (they still stay in your library, you can still add them to playlists, track play counts, etc.)

You can access your iTunes Match-enabled library on your iOS device via wifi, or if you enable the setting, via cellular. You can also access your iTunes Match-enabled library from your computer, if your main library is not present (eg. you're on a laptop, and your iTunes library is on an external drive that is not connected).

For example, before going away from your home library you could sync one set of music to your device, and then while you're away if you think of something you haven't synced, you can download it on the spot (either when you find a wifi connection or via cellular if you prefer).

This basically reduces the requirement to sync you *entire* library before leaving. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from doing so, if your device has enough storage, but at least you're not completely stuck if you didn't sync something particular.

Of course, if you don't have any wifi or cellular access (eg. flying on a plane) yes you are limited to what is locally stored on your device — so the requirement for as much storage as possible still remains for those who don't want to sync subsets of their library.

However, it's a tradeoff of convenience. Assuming you have a library that fits on an iPod Classic, you can carry your entire library with you but you cannot add anything to it (eg. buy a new song that you hear somewhere) unless you carry your computer along too. This is not the case for iTunes Match-capable devices (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad).

It's fairly likely that over the next few years 128GB and 256GB iPads and iPhones will be available.

Also, when the H.265 video format is released, it's likely you'll be able to store more audio in less space, so both storage and bandwidth requirements will be reduced.

With Apple's clear focus on future technologies, I'd be surprised if a 128GB iPod touch wasn't just around the corner, and along with it the retirement of the Classic.

On the bright side, you could always get a white one and install this app:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6JcVgIo98

Last edited by rdas7; Sep 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
rdas7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #13
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

Day after the announcements.

Day after the new iPods and iphone and nothing about the Classic.

Maybe it will quietly capacity bumped with little funfair., although i've been hoping this for 2 years now...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:37 PM   #14
MaloCS
macrumors member

I depend on my 160GB 'Classic' every day of my life. Internet based 'Cloud' services just don't work for me at this time, especially with AT&T being stingy with their data.

People always tell me, "Just use Wifi!". Well, unfortunately I don't have access to Wifi where I work so I'm completely dependent upon At&T and the cellular internet service. Additionally, when I go four wheeling in the Colorado mountains I would like to know how I'm supposed to access a Wifi network. Seriously, if anyone knows of any sort of magic I'd be willing to pay a handsome sum.

At this time, the only device that's capable of meeting my needs is the 'Classic' version of the iPod. I would also give my left leg for a capacity increase. Well, maybe not my left leg but I'd be willing to drop another $250.
MaloCS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod