Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrubling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
I recently started hearing some very strange noises coming from my 2012 Macbook air's fans while playing Diablo 3. I've had my machine for a few months now and these noises are not the "standard stressed" fan noises that I am used to while playing. Does anyone know if fan issues can be resolved at the local Apple Genius Bar, or is this something that will most likely require a new machine to be sent to me (I have applecare)? I really don't feel like getting a new machine and risk having a worse issue. I already have a loose screen hinge, which requires a new machine to be sent to me. I am hesitant to get a new machine because my trackpad works flawlessly, noise wise, unlike some of the others I have tested out and read about on here. If a fan issue can be resolved in-store that would be awesome. The reason I ask this here instead of heading straight to the genius bar is because the nearest apple store is unfortunately 45 minutes away and applecare tech support has "no idea" if it can be resolved at the store without needing a new machine.

Thanks!

Birone

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I recently started hearing some very strange noises coming from my 2012 Macbook air's fans while playing Diablo 3. I've had my machine for a few months now and these noises are not the "standard stressed" fan noises that I am used to while playing. Does anyone know if fan issues can be resolved at the local Apple Genius Bar, or is this something that will most likely require a new machine to be sent to me (I have applecare)? I really don't feel like getting a new machine and risk having a worse issue. I already have a loose screen hinge, which requires a new machine to be sent to me. I am hesitant to get a new machine because my trackpad works flawlessly, noise wise, unlike some of the others I have tested out and read about on here. If a fan issue can be resolved in-store that would be awesome. The reason I ask this here instead of heading straight to the genius bar is because the nearest apple store is unfortunately 45 minutes away and applecare tech support has "no idea" if it can be resolved at the store without needing a new machine.

Thanks!

Make an appointment, go to the store, back up all your data first, don't let them turn you away without getting solid answers, ask for a higher up manager if they give you snark, show them the issue of the fan and hinge. They're pretty nice people, if you get the right one.

scrubling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Make an appointment, go to the store, back up all your data first, don't let them turn you away without getting solid answers, ask for a higher up manager if they give you snark, show them the issue of the fan and hinge. They're pretty nice people, if you get the right one.

Thank's for the reply! They had no problem replacing my machine due to the hinge issue, but the problem I had was that the only resolution was a replacement machine. They explained why it can't be fixed, and it made sense, it just sucked to hear the news. I don't foresee any problems with them approving a replacement machine for the fans, except I don't want a replacement machine, I want my damn machine fixed, lol. It doesn't take a "Genius" to replace a machine. All jokes aside, I guess I'll make the trip over to the mall, and maybe I'll pick up a new suit while im at it to make the long haul worthwhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.