Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mumbles87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am traveling to the USA from the Uk in april. By then the Iphone 5 should be out and bug free lol so I have been considering buying one out there

the iphone 4s is around $649 sim free however if you paid UK prices your looking $800-900 so obviously a huge saving.

How easy is it to buy a sim free phone out there?

and what issues would I have taking it home and sticking a standard micro sim from a vodafone contract in there.. (i currently have an iphone 4)

I am fully aware that any contracted fone etc out there are locked to a network however sim free i am under the impression are like ours which is free for any sim to be insterted?

thanks in advance for any help

all the best

Mumbles

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like you're talking about buying unlocked. It's as easy as walking into an Apple Store and buying it unlocked there. They start at $649.99 and go up $100 for each storage size bump. After the new iPhone launches, they might still sell the 4S in 8GB storage for $549.99 unlocked.

As far as I know, you should not have any problems taking it back to the UK and using a local SIM.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Yep. Like the poster above said. Just go into any apple store and tell them that you want a factory unlocked phone. You will pay the full retail price for it.

As long as it's factory unlocked, you shouldn't have any trouble using it in the UK. Any micro-sim will do.

I should mention that if anything goes wrong, the warranty is only valid in the US. Happened to my boss. He bought his phone in London and apple stores in Hong Kong & Singapore won't repair his phone unless he pay a certain amount. They said it's only valid at at the country where you purchased the item. Although sometimes you get a nice (or perhaps clueless) genius, s/he will just happily accept your phone for repair.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Wow America really do get the iPhone cheap. £100 cheaper to buy there.

mumbles87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Yep. Like the poster above said. Just go into any apple store and tell them that you want a factory unlocked phone. You will pay the full retail price for it.

As long as it's factory unlocked, you shouldn't have any trouble using it in the UK. Any micro-sim will do.

I should mention that if anything goes wrong, the warranty is only valid in the US. Happened to my boss. He bought his phone in London and apple stores in Hong Kong & Singapore won't repair his phone unless he pay a certain amount. They said it's only valid at at the country where you purchased the item. Although sometimes you get a nice (or perhaps clueless) genius, s/he will just happily accept your phone for repair.

lol thanks everyone for the help.

I like the word clueless here as apple "genius'" are helping to downgrade the word. more like apple "specials"

but yes I am looking for a factory unlocked. thanks for the tip on the iphone 4s 8gb however I will only be looking for a 5

also thanks for the heads up about the warranty. That said I think having phone insurance via my bank will cover me as they will cover the phone for loss theft or damage etc.. worst comes to worse smash the thing lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.