Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

I want to install iOS 6 as soon as it comes out but i'm "afraid"

Millions of people will upgrade as soon as it comes out, can i install the update as soon as it comes out over iCloud or should i wait a couple of days? Everyone had problems with their iPhone and iTunes crashing while updating and loosing everything last year so yeah.

What should I do and will you install it as fast as possible?
Nevzorus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

I've never had an issue updating on the day an iOS has hit the shelves. Stop worrying so much!
Gav2k is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
I've never had an issue updating on the day an iOS has hit the shelves. Stop worrying so much!
im more worried about performance on my 4

last thing i want is another ios4 on 3g scenario
dukebound85 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

iOS 6 on the 4 and 4s runs like a dream tbh
Gav2k is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Millions of people will upgrade as soon as it comes out, can i install the update as soon as it comes out over iCloud or should i wait a couple of days? Everyone had problems with their iPhone and iTunes crashing while updating and loosing everything last year so yeah.
iOS 6 beta 4 has been running pretty well on my iPhone 4. As always, you should always do a full backup in iTunes prior to major version update. That way, you can always revert if things go wrong.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
iOS 6 beta 4 has been running pretty well on my iPhone 4. As always, you should always do a full backup in iTunes prior to major version update. That way, you can always revert if things go wrong.
Ummmm You can't revert 2 days after the official update goes out. This is what the OP was referring to.
cjmillsnun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
im more worried about performance on my 4

last thing i want is another ios4 on 3g scenario
Runs fine.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

It's not about running fine, it's APPLE we're talking about. Apple gets overloads on their servers when millions try to install a new OS from them and many iPhones tend to crash and go badabingbong. That's what i'm afraid of. :/
Nevzorus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's not about running fine, it's APPLE we're talking about. Apple gets overloads on their servers when millions try to install a new OS from them and many iPhones tend to crash and go badabingbong. That's what i'm afraid of. :/
You have to download the os first before it even loads it on the phone
dukebound85 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Activation servers go cablooey with the influx of new iPhone purchases. Hs nothing to do with the OS update.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #11
ben824
macrumors regular

This will be the first major OS update since the introduction of iCloud. The beauty of iCloud is that it backs up most of your critical data like your contacts, SMS, notes, etc. What you might loose is app data so yes there is a possibility you may loose your progress in Temple Run. But my experience usually saves even app data.

Since iCloud is also Apple server side I recommend running an iCloud back-up a day or two before you update. And as nutmac said, back-up to your computer as well before you update.

The big problem with people losing stuff on their phone when iOS5 came out was the phone would get hung up during the update process, due to the large surge on the servers from users trying to update, and have to be put into DFU mode, I myself had to do this. And then it would need to be restored from a previous back-up, I had to do this as well. Since a large majority of iPhone users have never even connected their device to their computer or sadly aren't even aware of doing that, they lost their data. So, to insure you get all your critical data from your phone back if this scenario happens, make sure your device is set to back up things like notes, contacts, apps, etc. on your computer through iTunes when the device is connected.

If you follow these steps and take the proper proactive steps to save your data then you will be ok in an instance where the phone gets hung up and must be restored during the update process.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 05:41 PM   #12
0dev
macrumors 68040

Make a backup and do the update.

It sounds like you're worried about getting an incomplete download and having your phone screwed, correct? If so, you have nothing to worry about - the phone verifies the update before it installs (I assume it uses MD5 hashes). So if the download is even a single byte different to what it should be, the phone won't install it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:34 PM   #13
saberahul
macrumors 68040

I would just put it on charge, click update, and go to sleep at night. When you wake up, there is a pretty good chance it will be done.

I say pretty good because ultimately it is software and there is always something buggy with software - hence new versions.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 07:14 PM   #14
kannesss
Banned

You'll be fine. They have so many versions before they release the fjnal that they get most bugs out.
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 08:20 PM   #15
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Never seen someone AFRAID to install an update, odd.

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

I have never seen Apple release an iOS update to the public that has a "fatal" aspect to it. Sure, maybe a slight decrease in battery life from 4.3.3 to 5.0.0, but nothing that would ruin your experience or render your device useless.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #17
JS82712
Banned

Quote:

Plug your iphone/ipad into your computer and make a backup with itunes prior to upgrading; everything should go smoothly (this isn't iOS 2 ..), but if it doesn't just restore from the backup. nothing to be afraid of
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Cowhoon
macrumors newbie

Last year when I was downloading ios 5 I had no problems. But make sure you back up your device before you update because you never know what could happen!
-Cowhoon
Cowhoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
terryh703
macrumors member

Might not bother upgrading since I am getting the 5
iPad Mini Wifi / 16GB White / iOS 7.0
terryh703 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:07 AM   #20
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Please, wait at least a month.....

...that way the rest of us can use your bandwidth...
thewitt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:10 AM   #21
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben824 View Post
This will be the first major OS update since the introduction of iCloud. The beauty of iCloud is that it backs up most of your critical data like your contacts, SMS, notes, etc. What you might loose is app data so yes there is a possibility you may loose your progress in Temple Run. But my experience usually saves even app data.

Since iCloud is also Apple server side I recommend running an iCloud back-up a day or two before you update. And as nutmac said, back-up to your computer as well before you update.

The big problem with people losing stuff on their phone when iOS5 came out was the phone would get hung up during the update process, due to the large surge on the servers from users trying to update, and have to be put into DFU mode, I myself had to do this. And then it would need to be restored from a previous back-up, I had to do this as well. Since a large majority of iPhone users have never even connected their device to their computer or sadly aren't even aware of doing that, they lost their data. So, to insure you get all your critical data from your phone back if this scenario happens, make sure your device is set to back up things like notes, contacts, apps, etc. on your computer through iTunes when the device is connected.

If you follow these steps and take the proper proactive steps to save your data then you will be ok in an instance where the phone gets hung up and must be restored during the update process.
This is EXACTLY what i mean! Thank you! <3
Nevzorus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6