Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPrimeMinister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Hi,

I have a brand new MBP 13" 2.9 GHz, 8 GB, with OS 10.8.1. For some reason I'm getting these random "swoosh" sound effects playing at odd, irregular intervals. The sound is the same one you get when you drag an icon off the dock.

I don't have any programs that I know to have made this noise in the past. Only candidates that come to mind would be Mail, Safari, or Dropbox (only things usually running).

I checked Console, there are no log entries at all that I can associate with the noises (they sometimes happen in pairs). I also unchecked "Play user interface sound effects" in System Preferences.

Any ideas? Or am I overlooking something really simple?

Thanks a bunch

Twenty1TEN

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
Hi,

I have a brand new MBP 13" 2.9 GHz, 8 GB, with OS 10.8.1. For some reason I'm getting these random "swoosh" sound effects playing at odd, irregular intervals. The sound is the same one you get when you drag an icon off the dock.

I don't have any programs that I know to have made this noise in the past. Only candidates that come to mind would be Mail, Safari, or Dropbox (only things usually running).

I checked Console, there are no log entries at all that I can associate with the noises (they sometimes happen in pairs). I also unchecked "Play user interface sound effects" in System Preferences.

Any ideas? Or am I overlooking something really simple?

Thanks a bunch

That's the sound my mail client makes when it sends an email?

MrPrimeMinister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
No it sounds different from the send mail sound. More like a basketball swishing through a net.. (that's a really weird way to phrase it I guess).

Pretty sure it's the same as when I remove an icon from the dock.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Pretty sure T5BRICK is right. Messages does this to me as well. Especially when computer wakes up and then syncs a long conversation I'd had via iMessage on the iPhone.

My question, if iMessage has read receipts built in, why on earth is it renotifying me on the desktop of messages I've long since read and responded to on mobile? Then again why can't it do something as simple as keep message orders correct? I know I know, such a fancy new technology as instant messaging is bound to have bugs. It's not as if it's been around on computers for like... FOREVER :rolleyes:

MrPrimeMinister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
You're right! It was the "buddy logging in" sound. Wow, that is a big load off. Here I was about to reinstall my OS. Thanks a bunch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.