Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Nov 14, 2002, 05:34 PM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Ambrosia goes PC!!!!

Ok, its good and bad - good cause they'll get more money to make more great games. Bad, well, bad because they've turned to the darkside.

'Rochester, NY -- November 14, 2002 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today that they are transforming the world of Windows PC gamers forever. Responding to overwhelming demand, Ambrosia is excited to bring both Escape Velocity Nova and Deimos Rising to a PC near you - now ready for a test drive by a select few...

Originally released for the Macintosh, both titles have quickly become cult classics. The adrenaline rush called Deimos Rising was one of the first games to be bundled on new computers with Apple's Mac OS X, and the twisted plotlines of Escape Velocity have left many players spinning in their swivel chairs. It was only a matter of time before the buzz about these games sparked the interest of the PC community. "Why don't we have shareware of this quality on our PCs!? We want these games too!" came the cries. To stem the tide, Ambrosia has tapped the best talent in the industry to make it a reality, and as these games near completion, they need your help!'

D
Old Nov 14, 2002, 05:48 PM   #2
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

This was announced a few months ago. I don't really think they are going to the darkside, all of their games will be mac compatible and come out first for mac. Most of their games won't make it to PC. Not to mention that PC Nova users will be unable to make their own plug-ins.
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2002, 05:51 PM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Weird that it was announced months ago, I got their news letter email mentioning it and I couldn't find reference to it on their site, so I thought is was new. Odd that, eh?

Oh, and I'm not really all that serious about the darkside - the gaming industry is much more lucrative in the PC world, I'm surprised they haven't done any earlier. I just hope they don't go the route of another Mac only game house - Bungie.....

D
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:18 PM   #4
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

the deimos rising for pc and escape velocity for pc showed up on the "works in progress" page right after their releases for the mac. ambrosia is not doing the porting, they've gone on record saying that they will always make games for the mac, and if someone else wants to port it to windows, that's their deal. you can't blame bungie for wanting to make more money, but what pisses me off is that what microsoft did was obviously a giant slap in the face to mac users ("oh, you think that you have cool games, suck on this"). i certainly hope that dukestreet's fears don't materialize and that the next version of EV is not the flagship game for the xbox2.
FattyMembrane is offline   0
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:43 AM   #5
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Weird that it was announced months ago, I got their news letter email mentioning it and I couldn't find reference to it on their site, so I thought is was new. Odd that, eh?
Their 'upcoming' section on their main site has had progress logs for the ports up for quite some time.

I'm not sure how well Windoze users will receive them (WTF? this game is 2D and it doesn't have as high a framerate as quake III, what will I do?)
Durandal7 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games