Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
There is a new Amazon phone coming tomorrow at their press event. An android variant.
amazon-appstore-android_1020_large_large.jpg

Thoughts?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Oh crap. That's it, the iPhone is definitely going to have a sales dip, however small.

Amazon is massive, and they'll sell that phone at a rock bottom price on pretty much every carrier right off their website. It will be irresistible to a lot of people and it will be on the Amazon homepage all the time with the price dropping all the time like with the Kindle. Tons of Android guys will buy that phone and put custom ROMs on it. The possibilities are endless. Tomorrow will be a HUGE day for Android.

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
That's a bit of a surprise, but this will no doubt take a measurable share of the smartphone market. The question is who will be most affected...Apple, or Android based manufacturers? Since Amazon tends to bury Android in the background, this might just affect both...but only time will tell.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh crap. That's it, the iPhone is definitely going to have a sales dip, however small.

Amazon is massive, and they'll sell that phone at a rock bottom price on pretty much every carrier right off their website. It will be irresistible to a lot of people and it will be on the Amazon homepage all the time with the price dropping all the time like with the Kindle. Tons of Android guys will buy that phone and put custom ROMs on it. The possibilities are endless. Tomorrow will be a HUGE day for Android.

Whatever kool-aid you're drinking must be spiked with something.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
That's a bit of a surprise, but this will no doubt take a measurable share of the smartphone market. The question is who will be most affected...Apple, or Android based manufacturers? Since Amazon tends to bury Android in the background, this might just affect both...but only time will tell.
Both.

The price will be too low to resist and your info will be synced on Amazon servers instead of Google servers since it will be an Android fork and the interface will be dead simple to use because Amazon targets the general consumer so yeah, both Android and iOS users will be enticed by such a low-cost, probably carrier and MVNO-friendly device that will sell like hotcakes to people who would prefer prepaid service.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
If Amazon's OS isn't heavily revamped, this will fail. The OS on the Fire is garbage.
Yep, but they've had a long time to learn from their mistakes and a phone interface is way different than a consumer tablet interface and they've got plenty to draw inspiration from, so it shouldn't take a genius to figure out how to make a nice phone. That combined with their resources and sales platform and this phone will sell like crazy if done right.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Both.

The price will be too low to resist and your info will be synced on Amazon servers instead of Google servers since it will be an Android fork and the interface will be dead simple to use because Amazon targets the general consumer so yeah, both Android and iOS users will be enticed by such a low-cost, probably carrier and MVNO-friendly device that will sell like hotcakes to people who would prefer prepaid service.

The issue is Amazon will not have Google's core Apps..and its an Auto fail for me...and for most people as well. I cant predict the future, but I do not see if being a big success....Kindle worked out well because people wanted a good e-reader...i doubt anyone would go for a phone from amazon because of its limited services.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
A lot of people will see that as a plus.

How?

No Google Maps
No Google Voice
No Gmail integration
No Google Voice search
No Google Now
No Google Talk
No Google Music
No Google Drive
No Google Translate
No Google Goggles
No Google+ integration

^^ How could people see its a good thing? if you look at the market research( done by Apple! no less), one of the core reasons people Chose android over Iphone is that they

Trusted the Google brand
preferred the Android marketplace
Wanted better integration with Google services

iCEPfNY0sgKlq.jpg

The lack of Google services is something that will seriously affect Amazon's sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Oh my god. The Verge posts this crap and people believe it. It's been a rumor for months and is not based on any facts. I do love how the Verge claims Amazon was talking to Foxconn many moons ago, to develop a phone for them, then they post a pic of a GNex with the Amazon app store on the display. Complete and utterly baseless rumors. Amazon has already lost a ton of money on the Kindle Dud and now they are about to lose a ton more.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Oh my god. The Verge posts this crap and people believe it. It's been a rumor for months and is not based on any facts. I do love how the Verge claims Amazon was talking to Foxconn many moons ago, to develop a phone for them, then they post a pic of a GNex with the Amazon app store on the display. Complete and utterly baseless rumors. Amazon has already lost a ton of money on the Kindle Dud and now they are about to lose a ton more.

Did you read the article? It was confirmed to them by multiple sources so the rumor is far from baseless.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
How?

No Google Maps
No Google Voice
No Gmail integration
No Google Voice search
No Google Now
No Google Talk
No Google Music
No Google Drive
No Google Translate
No Google Goggles
No Google+ integration
-It will use Nokia maps.
-Google Voice won't matter because its a low cost phone already.
-Gmail wasn't on iOS but people use Gmail just fine on iOS without the app even today.
-Voice search will probably use Bing voice.
-Now is useless, just like Siri.
-Talk is useless since this is about a low cost phone, so people will text prepaid and you can use -Whatsapp, Imo, Kakao, and the dozen other IM clients.
-Google Music is useless, this is an Amazon phone anyway so it will use Amazon music.
-Translate is a minor service that not many people use, especially on the phone.
-Dropbox > Drive and besides, Amazon will probably give you free storage.
-Googles are a useless gimmick.
-Google+ is a joke.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Did you read the article? It was confirmed to them by multiple sources so the rumor is far from baseless.

Oh, well crap. Unnamed multiple sources confirmed the rumor. Well, it must be true then. :rolleyes:

This just in: Multiple unnamed sources confirmed to Mac.World that Amazon will not be announcing a new Amazon phone. There. Now you have a verified report on the interest saying the opposite as the Verge. Run with it.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Oh, well crap. Unnamed multiple sources confirmed the rumor. Well, it must be true then. :rolleyes:

This just in: Multiple unnamed sources confirmed to Mac.World that Amazon will not be announcing a new Amazon phone. There. Now you have a verified report on the interest saying the opposite as the Verge. Run with it.

I forgot you run a technology news website and actually write about this stuff for a living. I seemed to have misplaced your website from my favorites, got a link?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
The fire was kind of a nice tablet for the money, but the nexus 7 killed that idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of phone Amazon comes up with, whenever they get around to it. I'd like to see a new OS entirely but I'm sure they would do an Android based OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.