Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
So I'm about to list my AT&T iPhone on eBay in order to pay for my new iPhone whatever it's called on Verizon. I'll use the money I get from eBay to pay the ETF. My question is- is Applecare + transferable? I found an article under Apple's Applecare site that said Applecare can be transfered once to a new owner of a device, but I'm not sure how current the page is. Anyone know? It'd be a solid selling point on eBay.

Last edited:

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, there's a one-time insta-transfer as long as you contact Apple with Proof of Purchase and SNU etc etc.

Last edited:

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Is this something new with AppleCare +? I've always been under the impression that the AppleCare followed the device. So, am I understanding correctly that with AppleCare + you would actually have to call in and transfer it?

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I initially thought that, but evidently it's tied to the user. I believe that this is because you enter the contractual agreement, and so it's legally bounded insurance provided to you and you alone.

tamzab

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I initially thought that, but evidently it's tied to the user. I believe that this is because you enter the contractual agreement, and so it's legally bounded insurance provided to you and you alone.

I have the applecare on my 4s. I'm getting a new iphone 4s for work (company is paying the bill but it's in my name). Can I use the applecare on my work or personal phone since both are in my name?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is this something new with AppleCare +? I've always been under the impression that the AppleCare followed the device. So, am I understanding correctly that with AppleCare + you would actually have to call in and transfer it?

I think the OP is referring to normal applecare, which is tied to the user. The title is misleading, but I think he means "Applecare, plus transfer"

applcare+ is just tied to the phone though, and has zero tie to the user.

Last edited:

tamzab

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I think the OP is referring to normal applecare, which is tied to the user. The title is misleading, but I think he means "Applecare, plus transfer"

I purchased the applecare + for $100, something like that. That stays with the phone and and has to be transferred by calling apple?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I purchased the applecare + for $100, something like that. That stays with the phone and and has to be transferred by calling apple?

no, that stays with the phone and has nothing to do with who owns it. It is registered based on serial number and there is no need to transfer ownership. It can help with resell for sure.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010

no, that stays with the phone and has nothing to do with who owns it. It is registered based on serial number and there is no need to transfer ownership. It can help with resell for sure.

This is incorrect according to the plan terms:
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

10. Transfer of Plan
Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your
rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original proof of
purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's printed materials and these Terms and Conditions;
(b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN:
Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-
405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively, and (c) the party receiving the Plan accepts the
terms and conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the
Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of the Covered iPhone being transferred, and the name,
address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is incorrect according to the plan terms:
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

10. Transfer of Plan
Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your
rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original proof of
purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's printed materials and these Terms and Conditions;
(b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN:
Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-
405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively, and (c) the party receiving the Plan accepts the
terms and conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the
Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of the Covered iPhone being transferred, and the name,
address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

I always email the person I sell the phone to proof of purchase, and I have bought a phone from someone with applecare+ and cashed in on it. As long as you have proof of purchase and the phone, you are good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.