Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitchHamilton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Hi there,

I'm looking to get the iPhone 5 (or the 4s, if the 5 doesn't blow me away) in Canada on a 3yr term and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for plan choices. I'd really like to get at least 3gb of data as I would be WiFi tethering to my tablet. I live in the Canadian Rockies (Banff) so any cell reception advice would help too. Where are my Canadians at?

Thanks,

Mitch

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm in Ontario, so really unsure of who may have better coverage where you are.

But if you do need a subsidized iPhone, then shop around plans from different providers and see what works for you. You did miss some decent deals in early August ($60ish plans that had decent voice minutes, features and 6GB data included). Maybe for the iPhone 5 launch we'll see some options like that again.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Hi there,

I'm looking to get the iPhone 5 (or the 4s, if the 5 doesn't blow me away) in Canada on a 3yr term and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for plan choices. I'd really like to get at least 3gb of data as I would be WiFi tethering to my tablet. I live in the Canadian Rockies (Banff) so any cell reception advice would help too. Where are my Canadians at?

Thanks,

Mitch

I would recommend one of the Big 3. Telus, Bell or Rogers as they are likely the only carriers you will get any sort of a data plan with that won't require you to second mortgage your house.

Look up their website and coverage area. You will also find cell phone plans on their website.

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
I REALLY hope that's the case because I'm looking at $75 for 3gb of data with the "Big 3", so a 6gb plan for 60ish would rock!

Rogers has (or had?) a promo recently...6GB LTE for $30 (+ a voice plan I believe). Not sure if that will be offered with the new iPhone, however.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
There is no 'right' option in Canada. They all screw you royally. I would choose between Rogers or Bell mainly because of their coverage. Both companies have very similar plans.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I REALLY hope that's the case because I'm looking at $75 for 3gb of data with the "Big 3", so a 6gb plan for 60ish would rock!

Also, $60 was without caller ID, VM, long distance. There's always some extras.

Koodo generally has great options/plans and had an excellent $60 plan at the time, but they only give $150 in the form of a tab as a discount on an iPhone (Ex $500 for 16GB iPhone 4S instead of $650 full price).

Getting a full subsidy from the big 3 over 3 years is essentially $15ish/month.

----------

There is no 'right' option in Canada. They all screw you royally. I would choose between Rogers or Bell mainly because of their coverage. Both companies have very similar plans.

It has been better since Wind and Mobilicity launched (not that they're great options).

Could be worse, could be like AT&T with $20 text messaging option and separate charges for tethering and facetime.

MitchHamilton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Getting a full subsidy from the big 3 over 3 years is essentially $15ish/month.

That's a very interesting way of looking at it, I think that the plan price is MORE important than the phone price to me. Otherwise, I'd just get the 4s for $0

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That's a very interesting way of looking at it, I think that the plan price is MORE important than the phone price to me. Otherwise, I'd just get the 4s for $0

Yeah that's how I've been looking at it. If they give a subsidized iPhone but the plan is more than an additional $15/month then it may not be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.