Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Sorry but people here is only open to debate :D

to disable turbo go to power settings advance and set your CPU power state lower than 100% any value don't matter it will disable turbo ;)

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Lower CPU temperatures during gaming and lower power consumption. This also stops my rMBP from stuttering during games.

Depending on the game my framerate is pretty much the same as having it enabled (at least in my experience)

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
it makes a big difference in temps playing games up to 10C lower CPU and 5C GPU and it doesn't affect frames in most of the games even open world ones

The CPU is sooo powerful that even disabling turbo the bottleneck is on the GPU

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Would love to see some actual numbers on this. Like cpu benchmarks and ingame benchmarks to compare, because I highly doubt there is "no" difference, but as some mentioned, it might be worth it compared to the lower power/heat.... turbo boost in general is a great thing though.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Also disable hyperthreading. Run on 4 pure cores. Better yet just disable the CPU.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
I can confirm that by disabling turbo you're given far more thermal headroom for the GPU by about 10-15 degrees celsius. Considering the GPU and CPU share the same heatsink and are spaced less than two inches apart, it only makes sense that the temperature of the CPU influences GPU temperature (pretty heavily).

I've noticed that games like Just Cause 2, Bioshock (yes it's an older game), GTAIV, Crysis, SCII, ArmaII, are all pretty heavily CPU-bound games, and as such, you'll see drops in fps when you lower your multiplier in Throttlestop. However, even if left at stock values for the sake of a higher fps, the CPU's temp will rise to around 88-89C while gaming, which would raise the temp of the GPU to above the 74C mark and subsequently cause GPU throttling-related stutter. When you lock the multiplier to say, oh idk 23-25x, these same games raise the CPU temperature to only about 77-80C, again allowing for more GPU thermal headroom.

I think this throttling issue stems largely from the fact that the CPU and GPU have different Tjunctions, and likewise rise in temperature up to the Tjunction relative to the load. So if the CPU is loaded up with Crysis, it's going to start hitting the 90C mark and heating up the GPU. I've read through anecdotal evidence that the Tjunction for the 650m is much lower than the CPU, with some forum posters @ guru3d suggesting to keep Kepler cards under 80C.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Doesn't work

You don't need throttlestop to do this just create a power profile to do this go to control panel/Power options/click on balanced and change plan settings/Change Advance power settings a little window will pop out expand processor power management and set maximum processor state to 95% hit apply and close the window now you can switch between power plans to enable-disable turbo

I don't know why people is using throttlestop if not overclocking you don't need a bunch of programs running all the time the only programs mine is running while gaming is motionjoy for my PS3 controller and Lubbos fan control to max out the fan speed

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
For those wanting to compare the difference between CPU turbo enabled vs disabled i have uploaded 2 pics with overlays on to show the fps and temps.

Skyrim running at 1920x1200 on ultra with no AA

Here is TB enabled:

TESV 2012-09-07 15-53-46-89tb enabled.jpg

and TB disabled:

TESV 2012-09-07 16-00-16-51tb disabled.jpg

Both were running for 15 minutes before i took the screenshot.

The fans are set to run normally on the first 2 tests (no lubbos etc)

Lastly, a screenshot with lubbos fan control running and TB disabled. (again after 15 minutes in-game):

TESV 2012-09-07 17-36-11-10.jpg

look how cool it can be AND with minimal FPS loss.

Last edited:

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
For those wanting to compare the difference between CPU turbo enabled vs disabled i have uploaded 2 pics with overlays on to show the fps and temps.

Skyrim running at 1920x1200 on ultra with no AA

Here is TB enabled:

View attachment 356239

and TB disabled:

View attachment 356240

Both were running for 15 minutes before i took the screenshot.

The fans are set to run normally on the first 2 tests (no lubbos etc)

Lastly, a screenshot with lubbos fan control running and TB disabled. (again after 15 minutes in-game):

View attachment 356249

look how cool it can be AND with minimal FPS loss.

Minimal frame loss standing still doesn't necessarily transpire to actual game play. How does it compare when action is on the screen?

imperialnavy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Why dont you try the same thing near that Heartwood Mill? I found that due to all the vegetation, this is a very fps intensive area.

Just type into the console : coc heartwoodmillexterior
I am rather curious on how it performs there...and how the temps are there.
Personally i dont even understand why most people use Whiterun for testing, as that location isnt even fps intensive..:p

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Here you go 1920x1200 no AA or mods

The fps are between 35-45fps with turbo disabled. ive ran around the area attacking the people and the frames remain consistant never dipping below 30

This shot is after 10 mins in-game so temperatures are about the max they get to:

TESV 2012-09-09 10-21-30-37.jpg

imperialnavy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Here you go 1920x1200 no AA or mods

The fps are between 35-45fps with turbo disabled. ive ran around the area attacking the people and the frames remain consistant never dipping below 30

This shot is after 10 mins in-game so temperatures are about the max they get to:

View attachment 356472

That looks quite good already! :) I am curious, what would happen if you tried the same thing with the "The Wilds ENB" mod and 2880X1800
Would it be like 20fps then? If its not asked too much, could you try that for me? :)

About the temperatures, you used Fancontrol, yes?

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Yes fans were controlled by lubbos. Set to max out once temp reaches 80. (Which it never does with tb disabled)

Ill install the mod and report back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.