Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I was looking at some of the leaked images online comparing the iPhone 5 to the 4S and it seemed that when both devices are turned off, the 5 has a noticeably darker screen. Anyone with more technical knowledge than myself know why this would be? Is it a different type of screen being used and would it make the blacks blacker (more similar to an AMOLED screen)? Just found it interesting.

iphone-5-4s-3.jpg

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I was looking at some of the leaked images online comparing the iPhone 5 to the 4S and it seemed that when both devices are turned off, the 5 has a noticeably darker screen. Anyone with more technical knowledge than myself know why this would be? Is it a different type of screen being used and would it make the blacks blacker (more similar to an AMOLED screen)? Just found it interesting.

Yep.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I would def much prefer a screen with more contrast than past iPhone displays so if it leads to more pop in the colors I'd take that as a plus.

dukeace2094

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
San Jose, CA

I'm not sure but I think this is a model not the actual device.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

I noticed that as well. The glare looks reduced too.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

Less reflective

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
In-cell display makes the screen blend in with the bezel.

Precisely.

The weird coloring (I believe) in the 4S is a tiny shadow between the glass touch panel and the display where as in this 6th-generation iPhone the two are literally combined therefor no shadow.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Because it's not a real iphone...
It's mostly a fake iphone people, We'll hopefully see the REAL iphone 5 design the day defore or the day of the conference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.