Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
That was Touuchwiz that crashed. Also so ICS was faster or equal at most tasks. I don't think I''ll be updating right away.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm running a custom ROM (CM9) and there have been issues with CM10 which is JB so I won't be upgrading anytime soon either. I don't mind TouchWiz but I really hate the lock screen. Probably one of the biggest things keeping me from going back to stock ROM.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'll update right away for Google Now, better notifications and some of the smaller features like the brightness slider in the notification bar and sleep mode at night. I would expect the stability to be MUCH improved in the official release.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Was *really* excited by this update but this video really doesn't show a lot of improvements...

Sigh, I bought the S3 for 4.1 and now it's too late to return it. I can only hope the new iPhone is as crap as I think it will be this year or I will be disappointed all round!

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The folders feature on Twiz is what got me to pick my Galaxy S2. Coming from using a BlackBerry for a long time, I like the ability to shuffle crap I will never use into a folder and be able to "hide" it (on a BlackBerry phone).

I am still waiting for that option.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Was *really* excited by this update but this video really doesn't show a lot of improvements...

Sigh, I bought the S3 for 4.1 and now it's too late to return it. I can only hope the new iPhone is as crap as I think it will be this year or I will be disappointed all round!

What improvements were you looking for?

The S3 runs remarkably well on ICS. There's not much more for Jelly Bean to add besides Google Now, some changes to the notifications (which are nice, by the way) and some smoother animations in a few areas of the OS.

The JB launcher changes (automatically sliding icons, etc.) are launcher-specific and may or may not exist in the TouchWiz launcher. They can, however, be easily added to even the S3 in its current form by way of a launcher like Nova. I've got Nova premium installed on mine and have all the upcoming JB launcher features (and more) now.

The difference between ICS and JB, especially on a phone that's this fast already, isn't that much. Google Now is the main big feature and will certainly be included with the S3's JB update.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
That was Touuchwiz that crashed. Also so ICS was faster or equal at most tasks. I don't think I''ll be updating right away.

Yeah I will be waiting for my carrier to bring it out, which I believe will be around the end of September.

I'm running a custom ROM (CM9) and there have been issues with CM10 which is JB so I won't be upgrading anytime soon either. I don't mind TouchWiz but I really hate the lock screen. Probably one of the biggest things keeping me from going back to stock ROM.

If you hate the lock screen why not try widget locker? You can create your own lock screen and how it behaves. The only problem with it of course, is if you use face unlock, it usually defaults to the passcode lock.

At first I wasn't sure about Google Now, but I do admit curiosity to how it will be. I generally don't like my daily routine and habits available to programmers etc, not that they care about me, I just think that sometimes it's nice to keep some things personal and private.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
My friend flashed Stock Jellybean onto his GS3 and frankly it's amazing. You really appreciate how much Touchwiz slows it down after seeing it running stock JB.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
The folders feature on Twiz is what got me to pick my Galaxy S2. Coming from using a BlackBerry for a long time, I like the ability to shuffle crap I will never use into a folder and be able to "hide" it.

I am still waiting for that option.

LOL. The option has been there for a long time. You go to settings, then apps manager. Click any app you don't want to ever see and then click 'disable'. Done. Your apps are still in the root files but they will never be seen, used, updated or notify you of anything again. Until you re-enable the app(s) that is.

----------

to be fair, that video is a bit flawed

1)that JB firmware is still beta

2)One phone is the rubbish US version

Rubbish 'US' version? Wow!

Each version of the S3 has their pluses. I certainly wouldn't berate a phone that has 2gb of RAM and runs at LTE speeds. Would a quad core cpu be better than the dual core S4? Sure. But I wouldn't call the Int'l version S3 rubbish because it only has 1gb of RAM and can only run at 3G speeds.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
LOL. The option has been there for a long time. You go to settings, then apps manager. Click any app you don't want to ever see and then click 'disable'. Done. Your apps are still in the root files but they will never be seen, used, updated or notify you of anything again. Until you re-enable the app(s) that is.

----------

Each version of the S3 has their pluses. I certainly wouldn't berate a phone that has 2gb of RAM and runs at LTE speeds. Would a quad core cpu be better than the dual core S4? Sure. But I wouldn't call the Int'l version S3 rubbish because it only has 1gb of RAM and can only run at 3G speeds.

1. Where is the option to hide an entire folder?

2. Are you just simply picking out parts of my post out of context for the sake of argument? Surely there are better ways to spend time arguing about a damn phone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'll update right away for Google Now, better notifications and some of the smaller features like the brightness slider in the notification bar and sleep mode at night. I would expect the stability to be MUCH improved in the official release.

Me too, ill update for Google now and the better notifications. I dont use Touchwiz anyways so i dont care how it performed...and i havent even watched the yet :D

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
1. Where is the option to hide an entire folder?

2. Are you just simply picking out parts of my post out of context for the sake of argument? Surely there are better ways to spend time arguing about a damn phone.

Wasn't trying to argue with, nor pick parts out of context. There is no need to create a folder, put apps in it and then 'hide' it. This is bass ackwards. Any app you don't want to ever see or use, simply disable it. Job done.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Wasn't trying to argue with, nor pick parts out of context. There is no need to create a folder, put apps in it and then 'hide' it. This is bass ackwards. Any app you don't want to ever see or use, simply disable it. Job done.

So you're saying doing one app at a time is far more efficient as opposed to putting those which you will never use at all in a single folder and simply hiding the folder itself is more effective...

Either you have no experience using a BlackBerry or have no idea at all on how quickly application management can be done on a BlackBerry phone.

That is exactly where you derailed.

For years now, the ability to get annoying carrier bloatware out of the way was to create a folder, name it anything, select offending app, use context menu to "send to folder", and finally again from the same menu, hide the entire directory itself.

You assumed in the beginning that I was talking about that being on Android devices from the start.

Folders are finally there on Twiz and few others, but it's far easier to get offenders out of your sight on the aging BlackBerry OS.

In addition to your method, some apps will simply re-enable themselves on a device restart after disabling them.

Counter productive I'd say. :rolleyes:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
been using jellybean for a couple weeks on the S3. Not a huge update, but overall the already smooth device is even smoother. Google now is nice. Too bad NFL scores are still not working.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
So you're saying doing one app at a time is far more efficient as opposed to putting those which you will never use at all in a single folder and simply hiding the folder itself is more effective...

Either you have no experience using a BlackBerry or have no idea at all on how quickly application management can be done on a BlackBerry phone.

That is exactly where you derailed.

For years now, the ability to get annoying carrier bloatware out of the way was to create a folder, name it anything, select offending app, use context menu to "send to folder", and finally again from the same menu, hide the entire directory itself.

You assumed in the beginning that I was talking about that being on Android devices from the start.

Folders are finally there on Twiz and few others, but it's far easier to get offenders out of your sight on the aging BlackBerry OS.

In addition to your method, some apps will simply re-enable themselves on a device restart after disabling them.

Counter productive I'd say. :rolleyes:
I haven't used a BlackBerry device, nor would I ever want to. But you are completely clueless on Android App Management. "Apps will simply re-enable themselves on a device restart" lol That's funny. Completely and utterly wrong but funny.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

----------

Also consider the fact that the us version has the snapdragon s4 which has a better performance per clock.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I haven't used a BlackBerry device, nor would I ever want to. But you are completely clueless on Android App Management. "Apps will simply re-enable themselves on a device restart" lol That's funny. Completely and utterly wrong but funny.

Tell my Galaxy S2 that when I have to wipe the media storage cache at least twice a week to eliminate ghost files in the picture album and music player. Find the solution to that issue without resorting to cyanogenmod 10 etc.

Fix that one for me if you're as smart as you think you are.

Since you're completely ignorant of what I'm talking about, you assume I'm "clueless" on Android app management. You're quite funny but completely ignorant to many things you do NOT know about me...

Keep hunting and pecking...

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Tell my Galaxy S2 that when I have to wipe the media storage cache at least twice a week to eliminate ghost files in the picture album and music player. Find the solution to that issue without resorting to cyanogenmod 10 etc.

Fix that one for me if you're as smart as you think you are.

Since you're completely ignorant of what I'm talking about, you assume I'm "clueless" on Android app management. You're quite funny but completely ignorant to many things you do NOT know about me...

Keep hunting and pecking...

Learn how to use your phone. I also have an S2 and "shockingly" I have no such issues. But I'm sure every other S2 user in the world has your issue, right? That's why there are millions of complaints on the xda forum, right? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can't fix user stupi. .. error.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Learn how to use your phone. I also have an S2 and "shockingly" I have no such issues. But I'm sure every other S2 user in the world has your issue, right? That's why there are millions of complaints on the xda forum, right? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can't fix user stupi. .. error.

You would be quite surprised as the S2 I have is different from yours. With all your "smarts" you still failed to hit the mark. Let alone spouting off wildly replying to my post without even knowing which device I was talking about.

You must be pretty damned bored that you pretty much have to invent some silly retort without researching the full issue. Try Google for a change or just dump your phone for something else.

It's attitudes like yours (much like PC owners that just come to troll) that give Android owners a bad rep. :mad:

Stop with beating the dead horse already and take your shoesfor a walk. :rolleyes:

Better yet, instead of showing such blind devotion to a PHONE you should pick up another once in a while or find another hobby. ;)

My other random favorite message in the attached image. Triggered by simply using Samsung's included power management widget (see attached image).

Stock T-Mobile release of ICS 4.0.4 which my phone was restored after updating... it's the best! ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-11-01-31-55.png
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-01-31-55.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.