Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: Have you been censored by MacRumors?
Yes, they have deleted one of my posts. 97 61.39%
No, I have never had a post deleted. 43 27.22%
I don't know. 18 11.39%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #51
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond12 View Post
I did. The posts remained.
If you send us a contact and let us know which post it was (or app. when you reported it, so we can look it up among the post reports), we can tell you why nothing was done.
annk is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:41 AM   #52
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
I think I've read this same thread on every other moderated messageboard on the Internet.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #53
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Only once. I made a joke post, and a British mod laughed at it and left it, but an American mod took offence and deleted it and sent me a warning.

So, it does depend on which mod reads your posts. And as others have said in this thread, different cultures draw the lines differently.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:21 PM   #54
ericrwalker
Banned

Was it a good joke? Care to roll the dice and tell it here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
Only once. I made a joke post, and a British mod laughed at it and left it, but an American mod took offence and deleted it and sent me a warning.

So, it does depend on which mod reads your posts. And as others have said in this thread, different cultures draw the lines differently.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:35 PM   #55
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Was it a good joke? Care to roll the dice and tell it here?
Not wise to repost something that was deleted.
annk is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:08 AM   #56
theSeb
macrumors 603

I've had posts deleted and it always left me confused as to why. I don't mind when a post is moderated, deleted and I receive an explanation why, but when a post just disappears without any explanation, that is a bit annoying. It usually happens to my very witty, yet on topic, posts. How can I hope to improve without critique and feedback? I guess some mods don't appreciate humour.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #57
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

For what it is worth mods i think you do not delete/move enough post. Overall this is a great forum, has been very helpful to me.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:50 AM   #58
lizardofwoz
macrumors regular

I am genuinely delighted to be on a site with moderators.

I recently parted company with a general-purpose chat site that became so infested with trolls, clones and idiots that it became unworkable. Throw in a malicious hacker able to ban anyone he didn't like and you have a vision of chat hell.

Long live the Moderators.

(This message was not approved by anyone, and is an example of sucking up to a superior power )
lizardofwoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:52 AM   #59
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
I've had posts deleted and it always left me confused as to why. I don't mind when a post is moderated, deleted and I receive an explanation why, but when a post just disappears without any explanation, that is a bit annoying. It usually happens to my very witty, yet on topic, posts. How can I hope to improve without critique and feedback? I guess some mods don't appreciate humour.
You raise an interesting point. We do try to send out reminders for things like off-topic post deletions, but on days with huge amounts of reports or during an Apple event, we might sometimes simply not have time to issue reminders for the least problematic violations. I can understand why that would be confusing for the member involved.

Our goal is to be as consistent as possible, though. If you would like to know why a post was deleted, you can always send a contact. We'll answer you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
For what it is worth mods i think you do not delete/move enough post. Overall this is a great forum, has been very helpful to me.
It's likely we just don't see them. There is a huge number of new posts everyday. Feel free to report the things you think should be dealt with!

@lizardofwoz, glad you're happy. Moderation will always please some and irritate others, but the goal is to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

Love the user name, by the way.
annk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:07 AM   #60
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Once. I believe I made heated post that suggested that another user was an idiot, or something like that. I knew it was going to be moderated, I just wanted to post it so I could get my point across. I won't be doing any of that now, too lazy to get into a cyber-argument.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 AM   #61
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Yes;
Most times it was warranted.

However once or twice I have had posts moved to wasteland for reasons I can not explain...
Yep. I still am in the dark as to why my "Post a Picture of Your Toilet Seat" thread was wastelanded.

Mine was pretty cool, Yes I did.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #62
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Only once that I can remember - A couple of years ago I started a thread about how to crack games on The Macintosh Garden that weren't working because of piracy prevention systems. I thought all of the software on The Macintosh Garden was abandonware (as it clearly states on the site) so it wouldn't be piracy to crack them, but apparently they're still selling Age of Empires One
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:24 PM   #63
lizardofwoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post

@lizardofwoz, glad you're happy. Moderation will always please some and irritate others, but the goal is to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

Love the user name, by the way.
Thank you, Fair Maiden
lizardofwoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:26 PM   #64
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
I have been a member here a long time and have been seeing more and more of my posts being deleted. It's frustrating and pretty annoying if you ask me. I never post spam or anything inappropriate.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:31 PM   #65
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
I have been a member here a long time and have been seeing more and more of my posts being deleted. It's frustrating and pretty annoying if you ask me. I never post spam or anything inappropriate.
If posts are deleted, there's always a reason. It can for example be something as simple as a response to a post or comment that has since been deleted.

If you want to know why a specific post has been deleted, send a contact and we'll be happy to tell you.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:42 PM   #66
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
If posts are deleted, there's always a reason. It can for example be something as simple as a response to a post or comment that has since been deleted.

If you want to know why a specific post has been deleted, send a contact and we'll be happy to tell you.
I'm sure one way or another there is a reason why Mods delete them, I just think the reasons can sometimes be a little too picky.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:49 PM   #67
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
I'm sure one way or another there is a reason why Mods delete them, I just think the reasons can sometimes be a little too picky.
Well, the reasons are in the rules. If there's something specific in the rules you feel is too picky or unnecessary, you can start a thread here in this section (Site and Forum Feedback). We do change things sometimes, based on feedback.

Even if we don't end up changing anything, you'll at least get a response as to why it is the way it is.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:43 AM   #68
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I've had posts deleted and edited by the mods. No biggie and I was probably out of line. I've also called people idiots and have been warned.

What bugs me is thinking of all the little (expletive deleted) enlisted to run around here pointing fingers and reporting. Sounds all to a little (expletive deleted) for my tastes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 PM   #69
ericrwalker
Banned

I think a lot of us have been censored here, but recently I have noticed that moderation has been far more fair than I have ever seen here in the last month or so. Keep up the good work mods.
ericrwalker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:12 PM   #70
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think a lot of us have been censored here, but recently I have noticed that moderation has been far more fair than I have ever seen here in the last month or so. Keep up the good work mods.
Agreed Eric I'm surprised I'm not in "timeout" after you know what
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 PM   #71
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Agreed Eric I'm surprised I'm not in "timeout" after you know what
Things get heated quick sometimes, that little fight wasn't that bad. Sit back keep your blood pressure down.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:19 PM   #72
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

Many times I've been moved to the wasteland
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:20 PM   #73
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #74
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Things get heated quick sometimes, that little fight wasn't that bad. Sit back keep your blood pressure down.
Thanks Eric, my blood pressure is back to almost normal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:04 PM   #75
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
Are you waiving your right to moderation privacy? If so, then we can discuss the reason for that timeout in this thread, as well as the rest of your moderation history. Otherwise, please use the Contact form if you have a concern regarding specific moderation.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback