Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

I need to upgrade my 500 GB HD in my early 2011 15" MBP as soon as possible in order to dual-boot a good-sized chunk of Windows so that I may run my school-specific engineering programs on it, and install all my space-hungry games as well. They are all Windows-only.

I've used about 210 GB of this current drive and I do not have Bootcamp installed currently - I had to get rid of it because my HD was starved of space.

I'm stuck between a 750 GB Western Digital Scorpio Black and a 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint drive. The 7200 RPM of the WD sounds interesting to me, as I do game on Steam and Microsoft FSX occasionally and I feel like the 7200 RPM will make a difference, but the larger space of the Samsung is also attractive as I am constantly importing heavy photos and videos, and downloading large programs for school, and add-ons for my games.

However, I have heard rumors that the 5400 RPM 1 TB may actually be faster due to the data being localized on the drive, assuming I have ample free space available. I don't know how partitioned drives react to this though. I'm just repeating what I've heard, I wouldn't be knowledgeable myself, haha.

Also, do I need to get an external enclosure to transfer all my data from my current hard drive? I heard the procedure is to connect the new drive, format it as Mac OS X Extended Journaled via Disk Utility, install ML on it, and it gives me an option to restore the contents of my current drive onto the new drive. Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Will the increased RPM increase battery drain?

Not noticeably - there isn't much difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM drives.

I would also go with the WD Scorpio Black - Western Digital makes great drives. I have a 1 TB Western Digital external drive and a previous laptop of mine shipped with a WD Scorpio Blue in it.

Have you considered the Seagate Momentus XT? It's also a nice competitor pre-SSD conversion. There is a 750GB variant iirc.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
The WD Black.

+1, installed a 750GB black in my MBP a little over a year ago (did a clean install of lion) and has been running without a problem seance. Great performance boost over the 500GB 7200RPM Seagate drive that was in there too both in real world performance and benchmarks.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Appreciate the replies from everyone, thanks a lot!

Have you considered the Seagate Momentus XT? It's also a nice competitor pre-SSD conversion. There is a 750GB variant iirc.

I've heard mixed reviews on this drive, but in my personal experience, Seagate has been nothing but trouble. I have had to RMA my desktop Seagate drives 3 times in one year :( I switched over to WD and have had no issues since.

Leaning towards the WD Black now. I have heard that it is a bit noisier and vibrates more than comparable drives but for the added speed, I think it is something worth compromising on.

One final question - How does the 750 GB Black compare to the 1 TB WD Blue in terms of performance, smoothness, and quietness?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks again!

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Appreciate the replies from everyone, thanks a lot!

I've heard mixed reviews on this drive, but in my personal experience, Seagate has been nothing but trouble. I have had to RMA my desktop Seagate drives 3 times in one year :( I switched over to WD and have had no issues since.

Leaning towards the WD Black now. I have heard that it is a bit noisier and vibrates more than comparable drives but for the added speed, I think it is something worth compromising on.

One final question - How does the 750 GB Black compare to the 1 TB WD Blue in terms of performance, smoothness, and quietness?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks again!

If you're not gonna go SSD then get the WD Black.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I would take a serious look at an SSD if it's affordable. I've got this drive in my early 2011 MBP - 512 gig Crucual M4 - and it's currently under $400.

And the difference between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm is indeed noticeable, IMNSHO.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

They aren't very noticeably different in any category really. Anything like temperature difference, performance (depending on the task), or quietness will be basically the same. Obviously not exactly the same since they are different drives and the numbers are different here and there but my point is it's not entirely noticeable during day-to-day tasks. However, to provide an example, if you may notice a couple of seconds difference in boot time between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive, but like I said you wouldn't really notice - only if you busted out a stop watch.

If you need the extra storage, perhaps go with the WD Scorpio Blue.

Also, regarding the Momentus XT - I have heard horror stories about that drive, but others report great success. I was just wondering if you had considered it, it was a drive that came into play a lot about a year ago due to it's storage capacity, price, and hybrid capabilities. It was knocked due to scores being the same, but real-world performance is the only thing that will account for its SSD cache. Perhaps stay away from that though if you have had bad experiences with Seagate - I would still recommend a WD drive as they are solid products.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
The WD Black.

They aren't very noticeably different in any category really. Anything like temperature difference, performance (depending on the task), or quietness will be basically the same. Obviously not exactly the same since they are different drives and the numbers are different here and there but my point is it's not entirely noticeable during day-to-day tasks. However, to provide an example, if you may notice a couple of seconds difference in boot time between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive, but like I said you wouldn't really notice - only if you busted out a stop watch.

If you need the extra storage, perhaps go with the WD Scorpio Blue.

Also, regarding the Momentus XT - I have heard horror stories about that drive, but others report great success. I was just wondering if you had considered it, it was a drive that came into play a lot about a year ago due to it's storage capacity, price, and hybrid capabilities. It was knocked due to scores being the same, but real-world performance is the only thing that will account for its SSD cache. Perhaps stay away from that though if you have had bad experiences with Seagate - I would still recommend a WD drive as they are solid products.

I went ahead and got the WD Black and an external enclosure. Thanks for all your suggestions! What a great place to get help.

Now to get all my data over. I know I need to boot into Disk Utility and format the new HD as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Should I use Migration Assistant or Carbon Copy Cloner? I'm leaning towards the latter....

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I went ahead and got the WD Black and an external enclosure. Thanks for all your suggestions! What a great place to get help.

Now to get all my data over. I know I need to boot into Disk Utility and format the new HD as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Should I use Migration Assistant or Carbon Copy Cloner? I'm leaning towards the latter....

I would've gotten the bigger 1TB. I installed a WD Black 750gb 7200rpm and I don't notice any difference in speed whatsoever, wish I had gotten the 1TB instead for the extra space.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I have a 1tb scorpio blue 5400prm. It gets around 60mb/s read and 30 write with some 650 gb used. My choice for you would to probably get one of those 750gb 7200 rpm hybrid ssd drives. Dont know if the 8gb or so ssd space will make a difference for you, but thats just my personal choice. I would at least probably get a 7200rpm drive because transferring takes longer on a 5400 rpm drive.

Plus you could get a 240gb SSD and do optibay with it.. if you dont use your dvd drive ;)

Edit: I should really think about reading the entire thread sometimes :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.