Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielveeee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I know during one of the releases the unlocked version was not released until a few weeks after. So my question is will there be an unlocked full price option that first day of pre orders? If not what is usually the process? Also, is buying unlocked the same as buying without contract? Or is without contract mean its locked to carrier, just no discount

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I know during one of the releases the unlocked version was not released until a few weeks after. So my question is will there be an unlocked full price option that first day of pre orders? If not what is usually the process? Also, is buying unlocked the same as buying without contract? Or is without contract mean its locked to carrier, just no discount

Nobody here knows for sure. All we can do is assume it'll be the same as last year 4S.

By buying unlocked, you'll be paying the same price as w/o contract. Buying w/o contract MIGHT get you an unlocked version.

Quite a few people who bought their 4S off contract, got the unlocked version. They were surprised when that they got the "your phone is now unlocked" message when they sync it to iTunes. This prompted several others who couldn't wait a few more weeks to try their luck and buy it w/o contract. Some were lucky, some were not so lucky.

Sooo... if they didn't come up with the unlocked version, just wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.