Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 9, 2012, 07:09 PM   #76
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
Will Apple make screen like this ?
Yes, but larger. 27" @ 5120x2880.
__________________
15" RMBP 2.6GHz16GB; 11" MBA; iPad Mini R;Gold iPhone 5S; 27" Thunderbolt Display; PC: 4GHz i7, 3GB 7970, 6GB triple channel RAM, Lian Li A71F case, Logitech G700 mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard.
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:03 AM   #77
Macist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatfan View Post
Same here, also switched completely to OSX about 10 years ago, from microsoft certified to apple fanboi to mildly dissapointed computer user. Interesting to see what Windows 8 is going to bring us. With Adobe being multi platform I'm looking at learning a full creative suite workflow and perhaps back to AVID. Next year FCPS is going to be a really old beast, FCPX shows how fast they could have made it but where too busy with eye candy, being Xciting and innovative to produce a usable successor.

It's the same old story: Even if it can do 90% of FCPS, when most of the work you do needs the other 10% as well it doesn't matter how innovating or n00ber friendly the product is. I don't mind learning new stuff, even after 28 years it is still fun to look at all the new possibilities. But it also has to deliver what the customer wants, and not what apple thinks is important (hipster proof) right now. Planning on doing this for at least another 30 years and want it to be a happy experience.

So yep, 2013 is the cut off date, Premiere is just going to get better and got myself a copy of AVID MC5.5 just to re-learn some of the old stuff in case premiere doesn't get me all the things I want asap :P (although avid is a slap in the face, it feels like an antique, even the 6.0 version has a dated interface)

I want the FCPX speed and FCP7 workflow, without background rendering or Prores conversions unless I want them.

"Hi I'm a user, I bought my computer to have fun and work on cool projects… you know do the stuff i love to do the way I want them to"

"Hi, I'm a Apple app maker, we know how you should work, we figured out some really cool and fun ways for you to be creative and use your unlimited imagination, see? We made you 30 cool templates so you can be totally different then all the other 40 million users. We even let you adjust some parameters in those templates so you can change the colors!"

Anyway, Quadro K5000… hope it comes with a shiny new Mac Pro ultracore and Final Cut 11 in a few months!
I don't think anyone sane would have said the way FCPX was brought to the marketplace was good but now that the dust has settled it's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work and one of the most fluid editors imaginable. It needs better round-trip workflow with third party tools but for the most part it's hats off to the people that conceived it. I'm not sure, once FCPX is doing everything you need, anyone would want to go back to the older version.

And who cares if it's got a few templates? Photoshop has a bunch of ugly preset styles. You don't have to worry about them. I've found the easy 'consumer' YouTube and Vimeo output features useful.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:29 AM   #78
Cavalier777
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
Will nvidia support with driver updates & support in general or do they just want our couple of grands?

it's been a serious issue for professionals with quadro cards for a long time.
just go BOXX at this point... if you're going with quadro tasks... i can't think of anything that is really mac only that would be preferable. FCP7 maybe? but you don't need quadro for that.
__________________
17" MBP (5,2) [8GB,1TB@5400,120SSD], 3DBOXX 8920 [16 Cores, 32GB ram, nVidia Quadro]
Cavalier777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 AM   #79
chatfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: in mah cribb yo
But that is the frustrating part of FCPX: the speed and fluid workflow is addictive, but as I said before: it doesn't matter if it does 90% of what FCP7 does if you need the other 10%. It is a bit of a mindf#### to find out it is the speed and clever stuff you have been waiting for but you just can't use it just yet. Besides, at the moment Premiere Pro is overtaking FCPX in many ways and I'm not sure Apple can fix the holes soon enough, right now I'm betting on all three for personal projects: AVID, FCPX and Premiere Pro. But for work I stick to FCP7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
I don't think anyone sane would have said the way FCPX was brought to the marketplace was good but now that the dust has settled it's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work and one of the most fluid editors imaginable. It needs better round-trip workflow with third party tools but for the most part it's hats off to the people that conceived it. I'm not sure, once FCPX is doing everything you need, anyone would want to go back to the older version.

And who cares if it's got a few templates? Photoshop has a bunch of ugly preset styles. You don't have to worry about them. I've found the easy 'consumer' YouTube and Vimeo output features useful.
__________________
Arguing other peoples choices will change nothing.
chatfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:02 AM   #80
needfx
macrumors 68020
 
needfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: macrumors apparently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier777 View Post
just go BOXX at this point... if you're going with quadro tasks... i can't think of anything that is really mac only that would be preferable. FCP7 maybe? but you don't need quadro for that.
I think rocketman has also proposed boxx in the past

quadro card would be used for c4d, 3ds, ae & rendering, but in my case, not THAT necessary at this point, but VERY desirable, so I have restrained myself since web chatter claims that support has been miserable on the mac side of quadro, moreover, I dare not consider how it might be in Greece..
__________________
flickr
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:49 AM   #81
inlinevolvo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
External Thunderbolt to PCIe case. This SHOULD allow this card to process your graphics then either ship it back to the internal screen over Thunderbolt or use on an external screen.

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/

TEG
Very cool, thanks. Didn't realize such a solution existed. Would the theoretical speed of thunderbolt be sufficient to cover the upper limits of this gpu?
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:54 AM   #82
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
Very cool, thanks. Didn't realize such a solution existed. Would the theoretical speed of thunderbolt be sufficient to cover the upper limits of this gpu?
Nope.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:15 PM   #83
esquared
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Why?

Why in the world would Nvidia, or anyone else for that matter, make a >$2K video card for a computer that no one is buying (and rightfully so)? Is the install base enough to justify it? Even Cook said there's nothing new in the MacPro line until late next year. I expected Nvidia to say that they're finished with the Mac rather than this. I am baffled.
esquared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:23 PM   #84
holmesf
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquared View Post
Why in the world would Nvidia, or anyone else for that matter, make a >$2K video card for a computer that no one is buying (and rightfully so)? Is the install base enough to justify it? Even Cook said there's nothing new in the MacPro line until late next year. I expected Nvidia to say that they're finished with the Mac rather than this. I am baffled.
1. Extremely high profit margins in the HPC market
2. Product doesn't really need to be changed from PC version.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:00 PM   #85
esquared
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
1. Extremely high profit margins in the HPC market
2. Product doesn't really need to be changed from PC version.
OK, you answered the question "Why is it cost effective for Nvidia to sell these cards"? I asked where is the demand for them outside of the install base considering that Apple is not selling many MacPro's. No matter how cheap and easy they are to build, they still need to sell them. I'm just surprised that there is a big enough market to justify the expense. Which leads to the obvious question of whether Nvidia knows something we don't, and there will be new MacPro's sooner than later and thus a market for their product. Just sayin'.
esquared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:16 PM   #86
holmesf
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquared View Post
OK, you answered the question "Why is it cost effective for Nvidia to sell these cards"? I asked where is the demand for them outside of the install base considering that Apple is not selling many MacPro's. No matter how cheap and easy they are to build, they still need to sell them. I'm just surprised that there is a big enough market to justify the expense. Which leads to the obvious question of whether Nvidia knows something we don't, and there will be new MacPro's sooner than later and thus a market for their product. Just sayin'.
Because it's the same product as the PC version. It's simply a matter of different drivers and a different BIOS, and the Kepler drivers are already there. They don't have to produce anything -- just modify the PC cards with a new BIOS, put them in a different box, and charge a few hundred extra bucks for your convenience. They are going to net > $1000 profit per card, so it doesn't take much demand to justify their efforts. Nvidia probably does know things we don't, but that's not going to change their roadmap -- Kepler is just the latest generation of their architecture. Nothing unexpected here.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #87
Bradllez
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando
That's cool and all.

But does it float?
__________________
MacBook Air 13-inch, Late 2010 | MacBook Pro Retina Base Model, Mid 2012 | iPhone 4 GSM (Black) 16GB | iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011
iPad (3rd Generation) White 64GB WiFi | iPhone 5 GSM (White) 16GB
Bradllez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:15 AM   #88
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
They don't have to produce anything -- just modify the PC cards with a new BIOS, put them in a different box, and charge a few hundred extra bucks for your convenience.
that isn't true. There is a new set of certification tests to run for the new software + OS combination. The graphics library and optimizations needed for OS X will be different than for Linux or Windows. These cards don't "just work". The drivers and software are optimized to work better ( faster/efficiently) on specific software. So it is more than just causal, "OK the boot screen comes up, now we can ship" effort here. So this means getting expensive testbeds to run the tests on, expensive software to run the tests on, and likely a generous amount of human engineering time.

3-4 folks at $200K per person per year over about 8K cards is $75-100 / card cost. The distributors need to make a higher profit on a high cost, relatively slow moving product to cover inventory and margins. That's another couple of hundred. The warranty and support costs are higher than mainstream cards.

Not saying that Nvidia doesn't net several $100 selling the card, but a very substantial portion of the "$1,500 mark up of the mainstream card" disappears also.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:11 AM   #89
sn1p3r845
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
anybody know when these are available? where to buy?

i can only find the pc version
sn1p3r845 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:36 AM   #90
hawk1410
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Did nvidia ever realease the GK110 based quadro? This seems to be GK104 from what I can tell
hawk1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:51 AM   #91
mBox
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
Will Apple make screen like this ?
Im close to this with a few workstations here.
Two Apple 30s gives you 2560x1600 each display.
Our RED camera welcomes any 4k and up option

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquared View Post
Why in the world would Nvidia, or anyone else for that matter, make a >$2K video card for a computer that no one is buying (and rightfully so)? Is the install base enough to justify it? Even Cook said there's nothing new in the MacPro line until late next year. I expected Nvidia to say that they're finished with the Mac rather than this. I am baffled.
We bought 6 this year and 8 last year.
Should I list our total that can handle this card?
PS we're not playing Minecraft here
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia Announces Quadro K6000 NickRichyRich Mac Pro 7 Jul 24, 2013 06:26 PM
Latest OS X 10.8.3 Beta Adds NVIDIA Quadro K5000 Graphics Card Drivers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 63 Mar 24, 2013 07:47 PM
NVIDIA Quadro K5000 VS Quadro FX 4800 BrioBriss Mac Pro 3 Jan 22, 2013 07:06 AM
NVIDIA Quadro K5000 anisatam Mac Pro 3 Jan 14, 2013 10:08 AM
Nvidia Quadro K5000 announced for Mac Pro Cindori Mac Pro 46 Sep 9, 2012 11:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC