Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lolleh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Florida
I've been a mac user for many years and I've always been a fan of the Macbook Air 11". I also have a 2011 iMac i5 21.5" and it's booting from an SSD I installed.

I've owned a few Macbook Air 11" base models and always complained about the 64GB of storage and only 2GB of RAM, so when the Macbook Pro refresh happened a few months ago I went ahead and got the 2012 MBP 13" base model. I figured I could always remove the hard drive (or superdrive) and put in an SSD (desktop type model) and up the ram to 16GB. I liked that I had room to work with but now I am completely regretting my decision.

Why I regret : I bought a laptop because I thought I'd bring it everywhere. I'm hardly ever home and I work A LOT. I live far from town so once I leave my house I'm normally out all day. I have an iMac at home, so now because my Macbook Pro stays behind I just have two choices of what computer to use at home. My macbook is quite heavy and takes up a lot of room in my bag. It wont fit into my locker at work and I really don't want to leave it in the car (I live in South Florida.)

Why I don't regret : I didn't want to end up with the same laptop I continually had. I had the 2010 Macbook Air 11" i5. I love the size, but I really don't like the small amounts of storage and RAM.

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is? Should I stick it out and do the upgrades I wanted to do? Or should I just sell it, take a small loss and get the 11" i7?

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Sell everything. Then get a 15" MBP for power and occasional portability. Then get a iPad to take with you. I'm not try to be flip but this combo might be better and give you the best of all world's. Anyway, it works for me ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.