Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I'm getting tired of using pieces of paper to organize what part of my project I'm going to focus on each day and am looking for a decent Project Management or ToDo list application.

I've looked into OmniFocus, but it doesn't have iCloud support and Things can't do hierarchical lists. Those are the only big ToDo applications that I know have garnered any support and I was wondering what tools other programmers use to set up project deliverables then break those deliverables down into smaller tasks.

Last edited:

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Trello is one of my favorite tools for development. Give it a try. You'll love it.
https://trello.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out but I definitely need something that allows for hierarchical organization as that is the way I naturally organize things.

For example:

Project - Graphing Program
> Section 1 - Data Parser
>> Group 1.1 - Text file parser
>>> Task 1.1.1 - Build parser for header details
>>> Task 1.1.2 - Build line-by-line parser for data section

>> Group 1.2 - Binary file parser
>>> Task 1.2.1 - talk with alpha testers that write their own binary file parsers to get example files and example parsers
>>> Task 1.2.1 - determine best method to allow external executables to coordinate with my project (applescript?)

>> Group 1.3 - pre-parsed data storage
>>> Task 1.3.1 - Update storage method to enable pre-parsed data storage and retrieval
>>> Task 1.3.2 - Update Preference Panel so user can control pre-parsed data storage
>>>> Sub-task 1.3.2.1 - provide: current storage size, adjustable limit on max storage size, adjustable limit on min/max file size, adjustable limit on min parsing time, "Show in Finder" link, "Clear all" button, Flattened navigator.

>> Group 1.4 - test large data sets
>>> Task 1.4.1 - get large data sets from XRD group on campus
>>> Task 1.4.2 - time large data set parsing

etc. for the rest of my project.

I'm currently using a word document to keep my list, but it would be nice to use a tool designed specifically for this type of organization.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
It looks like OmniPlan has the organization scheme I'm looking for. It is a little bit overkill for what I need.

Does anyone have experience with OmniPlan? How about Merlin?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

I use Trello in a scrum environment where we have sprints, stories, and tasks in a hierarchical structure. It works very well for me. There are many articles around on how to set it up for agile. I'm not saying you are using agile, but the task structure is probably similar to what you are looking for. At first glance, Trello looks extremely simple, but thats because it's open for you to use it anyway you want. It's actually extremely powerful and probably would do exactly what you are looking for. It just might take a bit of work to set it up the way you want.

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I have used OpenProj, OmniPlan and Merlin. They are all good but OmniPlan is expensive.. OpenProj is free but you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

I tried all three as they can open and save MS Project files

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like OmniPlan and Merlin are way overkill for my needs and I definitely would not be able to get $200 worth of value out of them. All I really need is something like Things but with the ability to have hierarchical lists.

I might just try and make my own quick and dirty one as it will help me get some more practice with Outline Views.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.